Ca. Smog Test Only?

All of the smog stations, both "test Only" & "Test & repair" advertise at least 1 retest after a failure, that's why they generally hook your car up first. Years back, they used to not charge for a failure, then they went to charge you but give 1 or 2 free retests after a failure.
BoostedEViL, nothing personal, but I don't think that I would ever invest in any smog test station that you own.

If I remember right, intercooler is a non-issue smog wise. It's excluded from smog regs. The afpr is deemed illegal. I have a stock appearing one that I put on for smog (old school adjustable with hidden screw and Bosch silkscreen). Alcohol injection should be ok to but to avoid any bs I just disconnected it and put a non-drilled pipe on.

While we are on the subject why doesn't anyone ever try to get their car in tune and make sure all the required items for smog are done before they take their cars in?
I always make sure everything is right before I go, good gas, tune up, fresh oil and all hoses, etc connected and have never had a problem since I started doing my own repairs.

I see it on here all the time though and thru friends...."I didn't know I needed a cat, etc."

I also don't understand why people don't remember what's on their car smog wise unless they are just trying to see if it will go through. Always changing oil & oil filter minimizes the chances of failure. Paying the extra $$ at a pre-smog place for a pre smog inspection is always a worthwhile venture to me. I would rather pay the extra money than risk a failure, as the Kali smog system always documents failures at "Test Only" Stations and documents failures at the "Test & Repair" stations in the event of a car being 1st time registered in kali. It is best to not let them document either you or your cars as failure prone, as it will always be on the record system, and can only cause the next smog tech to look harder and more through.

If I remember right, intercooler is a non-issue smog wise. It's excluded from smog regs. The afpr is deemed illegal. I have a stock appearing one that I put on for smog (old school adjustable with hidden screw and Bosch silkscreen). Alcohol injection should be ok to but to avoid any bs I just disconnected it and put a non-drilled pipe on.

While we are on the subject why doesn't anyone ever try to get their car in tune and make sure all the required items for smog are done before they take their cars in?
I always make sure everything is right before I go, good gas, tune up, fresh oil and all hoses, etc connected and have never had a problem since I started doing my own repairs.

I see it on here all the time though and thru friends...."I didn't know I needed a cat, etc."

Smog tech told me if there isnt a serial # or mfg. tag on the intercooler it is deemed aftermarket which flunks it. I took it to the same smog tech. last time and the AFPR was fine 2 yrs ago. He said basically since Dec. 2007, if its not factory and doesn't have a CARB # - it flunks visual.

re: intercooler

Smog tech told me if there isnt a serial # or mfg. tag on the intercooler it is deemed aftermarket which flunks it. I took it to the same smog tech. last time and the AFPR was fine 2 yrs ago. He said basically since Dec. 2007, if its not factory and doesn't have a CARB # - it flunks visual.

That smog tech needs to open his smog check manual and review appendix K, category 1, Items not of concern. Then he needs refund some of your inspection money, because you're doing part of his job for him.

The AFPR is not legal.

That smog tech needs to open his smog check manual and review appendix K, category 1, Items not of concern. Then he needs refund some of your inspection money, because you're doing part of his job for him.

The AFPR is not legal.

Thanks - thats good to know.

All of the smog stations, both "test Only" & "Test & repair" advertise at least 1 retest after a failure, that's why they generally hook your car up first. Years back, they used to not charge for a failure, then they went to charge you but give 1 or 2 free retests after a failure.
BoostedEViL, nothing personal, but I don't think that I would ever invest in any smog test station that you own.

Whats wrong with my SMOG station? I was in LA this past weekend and I did see a few places with free retest. So I retract my bum statement. However this still applies to the places without a free retest.

Whats wrong with my SMOG station? I was in LA this past weekend and I did see a few places with free retest. So I retract my bum statement. However this still applies to the places without a free retest.
I dunno, but I do know that money is getting tighter by the minute, and some businesses that are here today will be gone tomorrow, crimes against the person will rise during bad economic times, and I am sure that not all smog stations will survive these upcoming bad times. a lot of major players in the aerospace & manufacturing environment are right now shuffling around their favorite players to areas and / or departments that are not projected to have lay-offs or work force reductions in the upcoming years end and next year. Less favorable players, such as myself, get shuffled to areas or departments that are planning to have cuts. Pays to ask your smog station what the hell they are up to before they start registering your car for smog.

It pays to have that good ol pass no matter what

" Pm me if your having problems passing.. can help you 4sure..

It pays to have that good ol pass no matter what

" Pm me if your having problems passing.. can help you 4sure..

None of my business here, but posting information like this on any section on TB.Com is really asking for "gofstbuick" to come visit us in a most unfortunate way. Joe Chung is here to help us, but when stuff like this is posted he will have to police us. Please consider the repercussions for everbody concerned when you post this. This will get this section closed down if it continues.

None of my business here, but posting information like this on any section on TB.Com is really asking for "gofstbuick" to come visit us in a most unfortunate way. Joe Chung is here to help us, but when stuff like this is posted he will have to police us. Please consider the repercussions for everbody concerned when you post this. This will get this section closed down if it continues.

I'm sure he meant that in a VERY, very legal manner.

That advice sounds just right to me.

i can't believe anyone would actually choose to live in a state where they are such pricks about things like this.
if i livedi n Cali, i'd have a mailing address in a neighboring state that doesn't have stupid smog laws and register my vehicles there.
of course, i'd never live in Cali, so this is a pretty irrelevant post, i guess.

i can't believe anyone would actually choose to live in a state where they are such pricks about things like this.
if i livedi n Cali, i'd have a mailing address in a neighboring state that doesn't have stupid smog laws and register my vehicles there.
of course, i'd never live in Cali, so this is a pretty irrelevant post, i guess.

Well, I can't blame you for not wanting to live in Cali. The snow blizzards, cold weather, hot humid summers, mosquitos, chiggers, and life in the rust belt are a treasured part of life. Now, if a bunch of people here in Cali really believed that and moved back home, life would be much better here in paradise :biggrin:.

Republik of Kali keeps us here by ensuring that we never make enough money to retire & move out of state.

Well, I can't blame you for not wanting to live in Cali. The snow blizzards, cold weather, hot humid summers, mosquitos, chiggers, and life in the rust belt are a treasured part of life. Now, if a bunch of people here in Cali really believed that and moved back home, life would be much better here in paradise :biggrin:.

Thank You!
Why do people have to post stuff like this on threads like this?
I heart California!:biggrin:
There is bs everywhere you go btw.

Thank You!
Why do people have to post stuff like this on threads like this?
I heart California!:biggrin:
There is bs everywhere you go btw.

Huh? "stuff like this on threads like this". I don't understand what you're trying to say :confused:.

I knew you Cal guys had it tough with emissions but dang it sounds like you can't have anything aftermarket on your cars and be legal:mad:

Texas is not that bad, I feel good now :redface: sorry guys.

I am currently trying to pass emissions here but the visual is no problem here. At least no one has ever said anything? I think most don't know what there looking at under the hood anyway.

And by 2011, the car will be 25 yrs old and I won't have to worry with emissions testing anymore only a safety inspection is required in Texas.