Turbo to replace a 60-1 Stage V

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I am getting ready to start working on getting this car started after 8 years and will be swapping the current turbo off for a stocker to get it smogged (needs test-only, has to pass visual). Since it's off I was thinking it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the turbo with something newer tech.

Car's combo is as follows (going off memory from many years ago when we built it).

Forged Piston/Capped short block with a deep sump pan, 208/208 cam,mildly ported heads, portmatched intake
KB 70MM TB & Plenum
Power Plate
55# injectors
kenne bell 9/11 converter with original stage-rite brake
Walbro 307
Dequick FM
Terry Huston DP
60-1 Stage V from innovative (non-bb)

When we had the car out at the BG Nats with this combo it ran 11.7x@117-120mph with 2.x short times on pump gas. I will probably be putting a alky system on it as CA pump gas has gotten even worse than it was when this car was last on the street.

This car is a weekend car that I will hopefully be getting out to the track and want to see high 10's out of it with decent gas and traction.

What would be a good turbo to match up? I want to stay below $1500 for the turbo. I don't mind changing out injectors and/or torque converter if needed.

Thanks

what is the stage V? Big difference with the various turbines out there. If its a p trim you have a long way to go with it. I went 10.61@127+ with one a few months back.

what is the stage V? Big difference with the various turbines out there. If its a p trim you have a long way to go with it. I went 10.61@127+ with one a few months back.

Wasn't the 69 trim the stage 5?

If so its the same as a Precision PT54. Ive been 124mph wih that back in the late 90's.

Compressor is a 60-1, exhaust is 62mm with a .63 ar 3-bolt exhaust housing I think. I'm sure the car has more in it with more boost, but since it will be off there may be newer tech that will get the car to where I want it easier.

Compressor is a 60-1, exhaust is 62mm with a .63 ar 3-bolt exhaust housing I think. I'm sure the car has more in it with more boost, but since it will be off there may be newer tech that will get the car to where I want it easier.

If that's a high flow tubine like precision and t netics uses dont count on getting there easier with a different turbo.

If that's a high flow tubine like precision and t netics uses dont count on getting there easier with a different turbo.

I am not sure, it could be. The turbo is from around 2001-2002, It came from innovative turbo. Is there a way to identify the high-flow turbine?

If I remember correctly, on the previous motor with same combo but a budget roller cam that ended up eating eating it, the car went ~123-124mph in the 1/4 at about 24-25# of boost on C-16.

I am not sure, it could be. The turbo is from around 2001-2002, It came from innovative turbo. Is there a way to identify the high-flow turbine?

If I remember correctly, on the previous motor with same combo but a budget roller cam that ended up eating eating it, the car went ~123-124mph in the 1/4 at about 24-25# of boost on C-16.
If it's that old it isn't. A pic with the ex housing off and the inducer/exducer measurements will make identification easy. If it went 123-124mph at that low boost level it was a strong combo. You need 122mph to run 10's with a good 60'.

If it's that old it isn't. A pic with the ex housing off and the inducer/exducer measurements will make identification easy. If it went 123-124mph at that low boost level it was a strong combo. You need 122mph to run 10's with a good 60'.

That was with a much bigger cam, unfortunatly it was one of the first budget rollers Modern Muscle Car put out at the time and we ended up with a munched motor/turbo. The cam that is in there now is milder.

Once I get it apart I will take some pics and figure out how this compares to other turbos and see where it lands.

It has been a long while since i've been working on TRs :)

Thanks

Wasn't the 69 trim the stage 5?

I don't know squat about turbo's but believe the "Stage V" turbine wheel is also refered to as the "T350" and offered in a 69 and 76 trim.

How the the "76 trim" compare to the "P trim"?
(I have no clue what a P trim is when it comes to turbo's ;))

I'd max this combo out first and then worry about that turbo, Bison is killing it with the old 60-1 so consider this.

Alky
If your AF/R is where you want it and the IDC gets close to 85% at the end of 3rd, then slap in 80lb Injectors and get the Alky Chip tweaked.
Your 60ft is what's holding you back big time, 275/60 MT Street Drags around 20psi and a good launch should get you close to a 1.6 and you're there.

From here it's if you're satisfied with that level, if not, get either the Jay Racing or Aeromotive 340 fuel pump and a larger turbo and hold on.:cool:

I don't know squat about turbo's but believe the "Stage V" turbine wheel is also refered to as the "T350" and offered in a 69 and 76 trim.

How the the "76 trim" compare to the "P trim"?
(I have no clue what a P trim is when it comes to turbo's ;))

The t350 was the beginning of the Garrett GT stuff. It was commonly used on buicks with the 6152 and I believe the pt52. It's not the same as a 69 or 76 p trim which are different wheels all together. None the less all of them have supported 10 sec power with the right combo and tune

The t350 was the beginning of the Garrett GT stuff. It was commonly used on buicks with the 6152 and I believe the pt52. It's not the same as a 69 or 76 p trim which are different wheels all together. None the less all of them have supported 10 sec power with the right combo and tune

Thanks Bison. I know have a better idea of the "P-Trim" . . . . it typically gives better performance, even in turbo's. ;)
Found this handy chart on the net for my future reference. :cool:

Attachments

• Garrett-t-netics-wheel-diameters.JPG
    Garrett-t-netics-wheel-diameters.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 145