Ca. Smog Test Only?

my1stgn

Are all 87 GN's in California Smog Test Only or Im I the only lucky bastard? And how much can you get away with on a test only? IE Injectors, turbo, DP, AFPR, Header's?........ First time getting the car Smogged and not trying to fail visual? I know anything without a CARB EO # is a failure but exactly what have people gotten away with. Im sure not every Smog tech is 100% familure with these cars. Thanks!......

Nope, we're all lucky bastards.

I've passed with 50's & TA61 with the stock inlet bell on it. They let me get away with the open element K&N on the first time, last time was no dice.

It's usually luck of the draw on the visual.

I failed yesturday at a check only station. The technician/owner noticed my adjustable fpr, manual boost controller,and the alky injection. The guy that checked my car is a fellow hot rodder so he knows his way around a motor pretty well. Seems like it might be easier to get away with little things at a regular check place where they might not notice little things like an adjustable fpr. GOOD LUCK:)

I forgot to mention that I have a tt smog chip.The tail pipe emissions were fine, it just failed the visual.:(

I bought my 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am new, and would have to have it checked every two years.
Then, it seemed that after a few of these, I always got the California State Check only. A special place, not just anybody.
I used to get turned away from places, including a few state places, as they would look under the hood, and tell me that the car was swapped with a different motor. I even was told that an aftermarket company put in the engine.
No one could test the car.
I even had one guy pull out the California book (looked like the big phone book), and show me that the only engines allowed in the Trans Am was the 305 and 350.
Finally, after about 10 different places, I found one that just hooked everything up, and passed the car.
I waited till after the car passed, and got my papers, then asked him about the car not being in the book.
He pulled out the book, and could not find it listed.
He said don't worry, it passed.
Seems that once he typed in the vin, the machine knew all about it.
Be careful though, one place, a state only test station, in the South Bay (Los Angeles area), had a guy try to do something under the hood with a screwdriver. He leaned under the hood, over the engine, and was doing something with the screwdriver.
I yelled at him, he jumped up surprised, and started yelling at me not to be in the shop area.
The manager came out, and yelled at the guy that he could not have any tools under the hood, or do anything to my car. The manager then smogged the car himself. The car passed.
I have since moved to Arizona, and don't have to worry about smogging my car anymore.

Good luck,

George :cool:

Here is what I did to pass CA emissions several months ago:

1. Turned off the alky pump and replaced the drilled up-pipe with an original pipe. Hid the alky feed line along the passenger fender.

2. Re-installed the stock oil breather to the PS valve cover.

3. Re-installed the stock wastegate actuator (non-adjustable), removed the RJC boost controller, and installed the stock boost lines.

4. Re-set fuel pressure to 38 PSI (line off) and removed the fuel pressure gauge from the fuel rail.

5. Changed oil and filter.

I spoke with the technician a day before the test and he indicated that he had no problem with a cold air setup and cone filter. He did, however, indicate that the alky system would require a permit number so I just disabled it. Also, he either did not notice the AFR or didn't care. Note that this is with 50lb Delphi injectors and NGK plugs gapped at a tight .032.
_

I thought that you could have an alky kit as long as you had no alcohol in it and you said it was just water injection? I went to get my car smogged, and the only reason it failed visual was because I had my wastegate solenoid disconnected and a line straight from my turbo to the wastegate. He didnt care about my alky kit, my cold air, or my afpr.

Water/vapor injection systems are items not of concern, so long as all other emissions control systems are connected and functioning.

Did you go to the Smog Connection? If so Tim is a cool guy and really into his cars and bikes. Does he still have the drag bike in the corner?
The different times I have been there he has had a Pro-stock chevelle, a big block Chevy, on a stand, and a new Z06. and he asks me one time at a light if all of my cars are so clean.

I use to live in Kern County, and had a smog by a LA county smog shop since it was a border test place. I passed with a gutted cat and non fuctioning EGR, he told me I need to replace the gas cap real soon, I said "OK":D Fortunately I am out of state now and dont get smogged, scared what will happen when I move back.:eek:

------------------
The tech probably made an honest mistake and just did not notice it. Human error factor, maybe. I think that if you look at enough cars, you will eventually miss something or think that you have checked something when you in fact did not.

yea i go to smog connection. He still has the turbo bike and the big block on the stand. But he said somebody totaled his chevelle and his truck! Now he has a brand new hummer H2. I finally passed after hooking up all the stock stuff and unhooking the alky.

I took my car to a test only place in Lake Elsinore and they performed a test that injected nitrogen into the fuel system (through the filler on the gas tank) to check for leaks. He said it was a new test. I also had some items that should have not passed the visual but he never even mentioned the fuel pressure regulator or the turbo bell.
Jeff

what a bastard. he knew you failed visual when he popped the hood! why take your $$$ for nothing.
And if it was your business, you would do otherwise?
Quite the contrary, he is only doing what any good businessman would do to protect his business & profits. Performing the functional tests prior to performing the visual portion of the tests is probably how it is called out on the computer screen, and doing the tests in this sequence is probably mandated by the state smog program. If your car is going to flunk any portion of the tests, they would prefer it to be so it can be recorded on the computer program, so the state has the historical data. Also, more than likely, the state controlled smog computer program will not let the operator skip any sequential operation.

Quite the contrary, he is only doing what any good businessman would do to protect his business & profits. Performing the functional tests prior to performing the visual portion of the tests is probably how it is called out on the computer screen, and doing the tests in this sequence is probably mandated by the state smog program. If your car is going to flunk any portion of the tests, they would prefer it to be so it can be recorded on the computer program, so the state has the historical data. Also, more than likely, the state controlled smog computer program will not let the operator skip any sequential operation.

Gary,

I took mine in today. It failed visual at a test only - I didn't know about the new changes with the aftermarket parts, like the AFPR. The smog tech used to own a GN - so it was my luck he noticed the MJ 17 row IC too. :mad:

The visual was done first, since it failed, I drove it off the rollers - no charge.

Gary,

I took mine in today. It failed visual at a test only - I didn't know about the new changes with the aftermarket parts, like the AFPR. The smog tech used to own a GN - so it was my luck he noticed the MJ 17 row IC too. :mad:

The visual was done first, since it failed, I drove it off the rollers - no charge.
I think that a smog station, "Test Only" and / or "Test & Repaire" will start doing the performance portion of the test prior to the visual for the reasons that I stated above, but that is only a guess. visual 1st to is going to be the exception more than the rule as money gets tighter & tighter. At a "Test only" State Certified station I think that once they plug the car's vin into the computer, the clock starts ticking, and I am not too sure that they can just delete the info from the computer. Also I suspect that he just happened to look at your car prior to him logging it into the computer, but just a guess.
I think that AFPR have been taboo for quite some time now, but I was unaware that intercooler changes were illegal too.

Screw the state! I would do the visual first. Especially when a hot rod shows up. If you pop the hood a see something right away, why waste the customers time? If you know they're going to fail the visual and you hookup the car anyway (without telling the customers) you're a bum. Unless you're gonna give em a free retest. (Which only seems to happen in Nor Cal.)