CA smog questions...need some help

818GN

Banned
I am taking my 87 GN for smog tomorrow in CA. I have can go to any shop, not just Test Only. Currently I have a TT 5.6 Alky chip, but I also have a TT Emissions chip as well.

My set up is nothing crazy:

Rebuilt Motor .030 over
Forged internals
TE60
SLIC
Razor Alky
AFPR
206/206 roller cam
Stock heads and intake
etc...

I have seen some suggestions as far as adding E85 to your gas, but I do not think there are any local E85 stations around me. Also I was told to turn the FP down to 32lbs to flush out the injectors, during the test.

With this setup do I have a chance at passing??

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

E85 - Pearson Fuels - California Alternative Fuels

I mixed in 3 gallons of E85 to ~ 5 gallons of regular 87. Other than that everything was the same when I tested last time. My HC's were down 37 ppm on the 15 mph and 19 ppm on the 25 mph. Well worth going to the hassle of acquiring IMO.

I don't think the Alky kit will pass visual and you'll more than likely will get dinged on the AFPR as well.

I'm ok on the visual. :cool:

Any truth to turning down the FP to 32lbs during test?

Is it ok to mix 1-3 gallons of E85 w/ 91 octane?? Will that screw anything up with the injectors, car, or tune????

I'm ok on the visual. :cool:

Any truth to turning down the FP to 32lbs during test?

Is it ok to mix 1-3 gallons of E85 w/ 91 octane?? Will that screw anything up with the injectors, car, or tune????

No. Running the FP that low could cause a lean miss, causing emissions to go up.

I had no problems (just did it for smog) Go over to the E85 section of this board. Car will run leaner on an E85 mix with no other changes as gallon per gallon it has about 27% less energy that gasoline.

Subscribed. I need to smog in SoCal in the next few weeks. Now, about this secret place that is liberal on the visual portion of the test:cool: PM me if it for Buick's other than yours;)

Alan

Took the car out Saturday with the TT emissions chip in it. Turned down the FP to 38lbs, per the writing on the chip.

As I was driving my BLMs nosedived to 108-110 from 123-125. Didn't feel comfortable driving the distance and took it back home. Turns out my FP gauge, under the hood, was way off to begin with.

Car is getting a tune up this weekend and I plan to test it, the week after. I am told with 38lbs FP and a cat, it should pass. If not, I will add 1-2 gallons of E85 to the tank.

PM me if it for Buick's other than yours

I will ask my guy. If he is ok, then I will PM you the info.