Buick V6 FAST XFI Crank and cam set up DIS and IPU configurations set up

On my setup everything is set according to this thread, and my timing is 25 degrees Retarded from the fast fixed timing mode...............I am looking for the cause..Stock crank sensor BHJ balancer, NO DIS module in car with distributor MSD7AL, dropped in and phased at 22 BTDC on leading edge of ROTOR.

On my setup everything is set according to this thread, and my timing is 25 degrees Retarded from the fast fixed timing mode...............I am looking for the cause..Stock cranks sensor BHJ balancer, NO DIS module in car with distributor MSD7AL, dropped in and phased at 22 BTDC on leading edge of ROTOR.
Dis connect whatever gadgets you have hooked up and retry.

Dis connect whatever gadgets you have hooked up and retry.

I will do that , but usually if the JS box is retarding the monitor lights up like a Xmas tree.....no lights were showing when the car idled, but I can also log the retard output on the XFI from the box.

It is interesting to note from Gnttype.org tech notes that with the stock module the:

Rising edge of crank signal for #1 cyl occurs 10 deg BTDC.

Maybe I'll roll it over by hand tonight and see where it sparks at what crank degrees.

Looks like it gets the signal is coming on the rising edge, so its not the trailing edge. I can;t start it, but I am getting the fuel pump turning on 5 ATDC.....what does this mean?

norbs said:
Looks like it gets the signal is coming on the rising edge, so its not the trailing edge. I can;t start it, but I am getting the fuel pump turning on 5 ATDC.....what does this mean?

So the xfi is priming the pump at 5* ATDC after the initial prime at key on?

Well when you turn the key on the pump primes, but it must see a crank signal to continue running. So this continue running signal is coming in at 5 atdc. Also the XFI will not produce a spark output when turning the motor by hand you need the starter motor rpm, so I can;t see when its sparking, without starting the car.

norbs said:
Well when you turn the key on the pump primes, but it must see a crank signal to continue running. So this continue running signal is coming in at 5 atdc. Also the XFI will not produce a spark output when turning the motor by hand you need the starter motor rpm, so I can;t see when its sparking, without starting the car.

I guess it has to happen somewhere, did you get the base timing to match?

I can't start the car I'm frozen to the bone, and I have thick oil in it, went back inside.......few more days then its warming up. If we think of this logically, this means the crank trigger rising edge is entering the crank sensor at exactly 5ATDC.

norbs said:
I can't start the car I'm frozen to the bone, and I have thick oil in it, went back inside.......few more days then its warming up.

I'd be curious to see if the 5* ATDC point changes once the timing is set right

You could check it on your car, turn the key on and roll the motor over by hand and see when the fuel pump comes on, but I would pull the injector connector or fuse not to put gas in your motor, the injectors may pulse ? Also it would be in batchfire mode too.

norbs said:
You could check it on your car, turn the key on and roll the motor over by hand and see when the fuel pump comes on, but I would pull the injector connector or fuse not to put gas in your motor, the injectors may pulse ? Also it would be in batchfire mode too.

Maybe when the temp gets above 16* here in New Jersey lol

Attachments

• image-1803577483.jpg
    image-1803577483.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 93
When you roll the engine over by hand, the crank light will come on when the XFI sees the crank signal. Once it sees this signal it will reprime the fuel pump. If this is occuring at 5 ATDC, then you have found one of your problems. In this thread, I mentioned verifying your timing with a light so many times, somebody joked about it. I don't even start tuning until that is done.

When you roll the engine over by hand, the crank light will come on when the XFI sees the crank signal. Once it sees this signal it will reprime the fuel pump. If this is occuring at 5 ATDC, then you have found one of your problems. In this thread, I mentioned verifying your timing with a light so many times, somebody joked about it. I don't even start tuning until that is done.

Yup I should have checked timing from the start as directed. No harm done only ran it a few minutes at idle. On another note you posted that the inductive delay will change with voltage level at the crank sensor? I have about 13,5 volts at the sensor compared to 9-10 I had with the DIS module, how will this effect inductive delay?

It will increase it.
Adding voltage to the crank sensor will increase the inductive delay time ? What do you think about putting a resistor on the circuit to regulate the voltage?

I have never found it necessary. That is what the inductive delay is designed to do. Even with the stock voltage, I adjust this value occasionally