85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

Lame show.....best part was when one of the twins hit himself with the ratchet and cut himself.

the twins for the history are getting creamed

well i checked out the history channels web site to complain about the show and man was i late, there are over 8 pages of mostly negative feed back, the shows o.k. but the host are a bunch of know not's they clearly showed they don't know $hit about american muscle.:cool:

Re: GN's on the history channel

Originally posted by SloGN
Hey guys

I watched the history channel last nite. I noticed a couple of things about the 2 cars. one was a T-TOP VS a HARDTOP.. also did anyone notice that the 2 cars had a diffrent braking system on them. 1 had the HYDRA-BOOST and the other had the POWERMASTER. they also stated that the turbo had a .85 A/R why? can you say ****ty 60ft. slow spool but it was a great example why not to buy a HOT-AIR

the history of buick was intereesting tho. back in like 1908 they built a race 4 cylinder that was 622 cubes :eek:

Why is it a good example of why not to buy a hotair? It wasn't tuned and they didn't know how to launch it. The parts were there to go 12s.

With the usual chip, filter, boost, my dad's hotair went 14.0@100mph. That's less than $100 and two mods and on pumpgas and street tire to boot.

I ran 12s@110mph on pumpgas (14psi) and street tire 4 years ago. My car ran every bit as good as an IC car with the same mods.

I think most people know what a GN is capable of. Even on the import boards, they're making fun of those guys for going so slow.

RE-DO:eek:

I WANT A RE-DO;)

just imagine what it would be like with a 86-87 turbo regal, err a 84-85 with the upgraded intake system:eek:

i would love to see one run 10s with the right combo

whoo hooo

BW

GLAD THEY DID NOT USE A 87 GN

IT COULD HAVE BEEN BRUTALLY BLOODY.....:eek:
I WOULD HAVE TURN THE TV OFF IF THEY HAD USED A 87 GN.
4 COMPLETE IDIOTS / AZZCLOWNS WORK ON A 87 GN....
THE TURBO TWIN AKA"THE BUTT BROTHERS", SHOULD STICK WITH IMPORTS... THEY HAVE SET BACK HOT AIR GN'S 10YRS. THIS MAYBE KIND OF COOOL!!!! NOW EVERY FART CAN RICER WILL TRY A GN BECAUSE OF "FULL THROTTLE TV":cool: :cool: :cool:

LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGAN... LETS SEE, THEY BOLTED ON THE WRONG PARTS AND KNOCKED OFF 2 SECS. (STOCK GN 15.50'S, THEY RAN 14.35, CORRECTED FOR ELEVATION 13.95). 13.95 WITH NON BUICK GUYS, NO TUNING, A NON SPEARCO INTERCOOLER INSTALL AND WRONG PARTS, IS STILL GOOD.

PUTTING A 87 GN AND THE PARTS THEY USED, IN THE HANDS OF 4 AZZCLOWNS COULD HAVE BEEN DEADLY (WRECKS AND COLLISIONS):eek: THESE GUYS COULD NOT HAVE HANDLED THE POWER NOR TORQUE. USING A TE 60 OR 64, A "GOOD CHIP", 50LBS INJECTORS, 3 INCH DOWNPIPE/HEADERS, ART CARR'S CALIFORNIA TRANS W/ 9INCH LOCK-UP AND FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER. IF YOU HAVE ONLY ONE GUY THAT KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT BUICK DID THE BASICS (CHIP, K&N FILTER, HARD WIRE AND UPGRADE PUMP). ONLY THING TO DO IS TO TUNE (AND NOT WITH THE BUTT BROTHERS).
BUT, THIS WOULD BE LIKE COMMITTING A CRIME....:confused:
"WOULD YOU GIVE GRANDMA THE KEYS TO A 10 SEC. GN"
:cool:

CHUCK

HISTORY CHANNELS 85 GN

MAYBE WE SHOULD PUNISH THE BUTT BROS. AND MAKE THEM RACE LEE THOMPSON'S 10 SEC 85 T-TYPE:eek: BTW, IT STILL DOES NOT HAVE A INTERCOOLER:cool:

CHUCK

BTW- on the history channels forum the one that was just sold on Ebay was taken to a shop to be looked at by th enew owner and th eshop owner posted there what a hack job they did to it! Everything was messed up and the TV did not do the paint justace. Its HORRIBLE in real life. He said it was a real POS..

Re: GLAD THEY DID NOT USE A 87 GN

Originally posted by cwmccray
THIS MAYBE KIND OF COOOL!!!! NOW EVERY FART CAN RICER WILL TRY A GN BECAUSE OF "FULL THROTTLE TV":cool: :cool: :cool:

That's the way I'd look at it. Every asshat with a Honda/fartcan will wanna run, milk it while it's good. Money in the bank. And on the plus side they may know not to call em "Monte Carlos" any more.

History channel show Full Throttle with two GNS

Hello everyone i wasnt sure if anyone saw this show the other night
Full throttle site

i will be ripping it to a dvd soon it was a pretty kool show

Molly was interviewd along with kenny duttweiller and a few others lots of info on our cars from 82-87 and gnx

i just wanted to pass on the info

Originally posted by denn454
i've been thinking a little bit about this. yea 14.3 is pretty slow, they should hae been able to go faster than that. but i think back to my first few trips to the track. i was throwing parts at my car and not really gaining much from any of them, i just thought thats the way it was. my first pass i think i run a mid 16. i met some gn guys that showed me what to do, and by the end of the night i was into the high 14's by basically doing nothing. I had quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to cars before that, but knowing about a sbc did nothign for me. since then, i might have put in another $200 into the car and i'm running in the 12's. the more i think about it, a 14.3 for the first pass on an untuned car, with an inexceperienced driver really isn't all that bad. thats the first time that guy had peobably ever sat in the seat. and i'm sure a low 14 feels like a rocket if you've never been in anything else that runs good.

oh, and i seriously doubt they run 91. did you see the vp banner? they probably ran some csp (unleded112 i think) or something like that. i'd be shocked to see it was on 91.
Good post. I was at first very critical, but it does depend how you look at it.
The numbnuts that were brought in to work on the cars did not know what the heck they were doing...that would be the shows fault. Unless that is what they were going after :confused: . The twins on the other hand have a performance shop, a shop with "turbo" in the name for that matter. Whether or not they were TR experts there are certain basics that apply across the board. They should have known more. Between them and the show more research could/should have been done.
The exposure is great and I hope more shows come out with TRs in them. The history lesson although full of holes was good none the less, especially for someone who is unfamiliar with the cars to get a better idea.
I guess the thing that gets us is that they didnt depict the cars the way we would wished they had, but we are a little paritial in the whole matter, wouldnt ya think:) . Heck imagine how I, and other hotair owners, Im sure, felt. I was surprised to see they were using hotair cars to begin with. Due to the fact theyre more rare and most of all because after the '86 model year all the publicity went to the IC cars, and has ever since. I thought this was going to finally be a chance for the 84/85s to actually get a little light. Hotair cars respond very well to minor mods the same way that 86/87 cars do. In my experience the lack of an IC can be overcome quite easily to catch up. My first run at the track I ran mid to high 14s (14.7 I think) without knowing what the heck I was doing and basic mods (first TR dealt with and never raced anything before), with actual exhaust, street tires, unknown to me at the time a wiped cam, etc, etc. The difference?..... I at least did a little reading and research (common sense might be the biggest factor though:rolleyes: ). With all that said, with all the flaws in there build and issues that probably robbed HP rather than gained, they still [accidentaly] bettered the stock time by a decent margine (14.3@95 vs 15.8@88). Definately should have been much better with the parts they had. Like I said, depends how you look at it.....

Wish I had a race tranny w/ 9"3200 stall, good tires, big turbo....Hmm, one of the first things they did was put a IC on. Whyd they do that? Oh yeah "you cant make power with out a proper intercooler"-Thing 1 or, was it Thing 2? Maybe that was their biggest mistake:D (just thinking out loud again):p

Re: GN's on the history channel

Originally posted by SloGN
Hey guys

slow spool but it was a great example why not to buy a HOT-AIr
Maybe you should re state this as a great example "why you shouldn't" buy a hot air. Some of us tend to like ours...

Originally posted by green95ss
DAAAMMMMNNIITT!!

I missed it. Any chance it will be aired again?
Shows it will be on again 3:00 p.m. Saturday teh 20th eastern standard time if that helps.

THEY SUCKED

Frist off they should of upgared the fuel pump and a hot wire also a nice chip and a boost gauge and scanmaster at least and spent some time tuning what idots:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:
got all of those nice parts and don`t spend time tuning this is a good thing now these rice rockets will think we are slow but we have a little suprize boost away thay won`t know what hit them

Was just thinking. A high 13sec ride is going to beat majority of what it runs into on the streets. With that being said, 14.3 IS good on the streets (stock 86/87 approx), so the car probably wasnt neccesarily seen as a pushover by all the other brand x vehicle owners. Most of the ricer, mustang, camaro, etc run between mid 14 to 15 sec ETs from what I recall at the track. Alot of them know better, but the show probably did give some of them a false sense that they are right there with the TR. Especially when they saw that turbo put on it, intercooler, tranny, MSD ignition (whats that?), etc. We know that it doesnt take anywhere near that much to make a 84/85 TR run those times, but they dont. Boy will their feelings be hurt....

Re: the twins for the history are getting creamed

Originally posted by no-nos
well i checked out the history channels web site to complain about the show and man was i late, there are over 8 pages of mostly negative feed back, the shows o.k. but the host are a bunch of know not's they clearly showed they don't know $hit about american muscle.:cool:
Where do you go to see this feed back?

Wow, pretty sad.......good history part though.

To answer why they dubbed the V8 sounds over most of the clips........

ILL BET THOSE 2 BUICKS SOUNDED LIKE FREAKIN POPCORN MACHINES ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill bet they have no headgaskets left.........but hey, it made me feel better about my tuning abilities, lol.

:cool:

PS- they shoulda had real buick guys on the show, but most people wouldnt have understood what we were talking about. LOL Cant wait to drive mine on the street this spring........

Re: HISTORY CHANNELS 85 GN

Originally posted by cwmccray
MAYBE WE SHOULD PUNISH THE BUTT BROS. AND MAKE THEM RACE LEE THOMPSON'S 10 SEC 85 T-TYPE:eek: BTW, IT STILL DOES NOT HAVE A INTERCOOLER:cool:

CHUCK

Yea, Lee could have showed them how to heat up chicken on the DP too.

Two thumbs down

Guys,

The show sucked in except the historical portion and a few wheel stand clips they continued to play throughout. The show hosts have the typical high dollar import aproach to going fast. If either car was in good stock condition with no cat a race chip and some good gas the results would have been much more impressive.

Personally I felt insulted and wish they would not have done a Buick TR episode. I almost turned it off half way thru but my fiancee told me to keep watching. The History Channel should be ashamed to air such crap on their network. I'm still scratching my head about Steve Hurst being on the show too. I loved the bit about the $100 bill on the dashboard.

Neal