85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

i was dissappointed at first with the show, but i watched it again alast night at 12 when they re-aired it and took a step back to realize these guys dont have a clue about GNs, over the years ive picked up A LOT, mainly from my dad, about these cars, and given that these guys didnt research anything(theit fault) i thought it was decent. everyone knows those cars arent performing to their best, i mean they did a burnout IN the waterbox afterall... just my 2 cents

GN's on the history channel

Hey guys

I watched the history channel last nite. I noticed a couple of things about the 2 cars. one was a T-TOP VS a HARDTOP.. also did anyone notice that the 2 cars had a diffrent braking system on them. 1 had the HYDRA-BOOST and the other had the POWERMASTER. they also stated that the turbo had a .85 A/R why? can you say ****ty 60ft. slow spool but it was a great example why not to buy a HOT-AIR

the history of buick was intereesting tho. back in like 1908 they built a race 4 cylinder that was 622 cubes :eek:

anyone record it? Don't do TV, so I couldn't even watch it even if I wanted to :) someone wanna post the recorded show online? thanx :)

Not sure if anyone noticed the Poston's and Innovative banners on the garage walls, they probably gave them all the bolt-ons for the cars. Postons probably gave them the headers, inj, and trans and Innovative gave them the turbo and IC. You think between those 2 companies someone would have given them the a FP and chip.

What this show needs is the twins to take the cars out and get a baseline time before the mods are put on. They probably would have caught the bad fuel relay or any other problems and be able to fix it. Must have sucked to work 2 days on a car just to loose because of a $4 part that should have been replaced before this started.

We all knew this was going to happen so we shouldn't be too surprised the cars didn't run 13's even thou with a better launch it would have :rolleyes: All in all it was great to see our cars on TV:D

History channel forum

I just went to the Historychannel.com and I ended up in the forum link: http://boards.historychannel.com/forum.jsp?forum=30080. I really don't think that they want www.turbobuick.com forum posters to post on their forum. I can't believe that they really did let ReTArds work on a GN. The Turbo Twins aka BUTT Bros. should be posterkids for using condoms:eek: DON"T LET IDIOTS MESS WITH GN's:mad: I bet any, and I do mean any Forum poster from turbobuick.com could have just used the BASIC's (wired pump, chip, K&N filter and a good tune) and would have ran circles around those AZZ Clowns:mad: .

Just my .02

Chuck

Well everybodys bashing the twins, but i didn't mind them much last night, the info they gave was mostly accurate and they gave the GN a lot of credit that i didn't think they would. I have a feeling they dumb themselves down for the ricer shows and what not, but they can build a hell of a car if they want to. Either way i think they did a good job and they weren't nearly as annoying as they have been in the past.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I can't believe some of these replies. I would've thought that most people would be happy to have our cars represented in a tv show about cars. Of course they could've done things better; what did you expect? I guess some of you would rather watch a show about making a 17 second Honda into a 16.8 one?

Jack, I agree everyone has their own opinion so will voice mine.

First, this program is about entertainment, not tech info.

Second, everyone that now owns a GN should be extremely happy that the value of it has probably increased in excess of a $1000 overnight!:)

Third, be aware that the "dudes" believing a modded GN is a 14 sec. car will be trying to "test" any GN they see on the street, and will be shocked when they are blown away.:D

I watched the show just last night. And I do agree that they really should have gotten a chip and a better fuel pump behind it. I think it would have run a good deal better than it did. But aside from the point that they really were off on getting it to run right, and that whole thing about a clogged schrader. It was entertaining to watch. I really enjoyed the shots of all those mean assed Buicks out there.

Excellent content. Lacking greatly in the mechanics though. Then again I didn't really expect much out of them consdering who was working on it. It was a shame the relay ate it though. I was looking forward to them going head to head fast or not.

[Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I can't believe some of these replies.QUOTE]

I don't think that one of our observations is inaccurate and yes it was entertainment............at it's finast. A good point about the entertainment value but anyone that knows anything about 1/4 mile times would know that after all that work and they couldn't break the 14 second mark but yet a MCSS off the lot had low 14 second times so to say that the value went up????????? I would respectfully disagree with that..............the curiosity value went up for sure but that's where it ends

I think the main reason why the cars would not start, was that they had the wrong chip in them, then when they figure out what it was, they re-edited those scenes did the chip aside so that they would not look like idiots and then shot 2 more scenes on the side one being the box not hooked right and the other the fuel regulator being pluged with dirt, the show was a joke, I myself with the mods they did to those cars the right chip good gas would off made those cars run in the 12's, we all know that if you put 50 pounds injectors but leave in a 28 pound injectors chip in the car will not start no matter what u do, simple as that, those 2 guys need to be schooled on buick technology, gawd i hope a ricer pulls up next to me and tell me that my car only runs 14.35 in the 1/4., I'll show him some taillights and then ask him if that looked like 14's to him.. :)

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Even with the inconcestincies, I think they showed alot of respect to our cars. Also, for an untuned HotAir running pump gas a low 14 witha 95mph trapspeed ain't bad. I believe they had to have changed the chips and I thought I noticed a Billet top afpr in one of the engine shots. I remember seeing one of these cars listed on Ebay about a month or two ago. They referenced winning it on this show.

I agree that overall the show was good & shed light on an up & coming classic.

The twins seemed a bit mellower & less retarded than usual.

HOW MANY TIMES DID THEY SHOW THAT GN PULLING A WHEELIE?10?

A SHAKEDOWN run is in order with any mods! Even my 15 year old son knows that & pointed it out.
Letting the teams test & tune the cars would produce more enjoyment for themselves & the viewers.

Those cars as we know should be much faster with what they did.
heck my stocker at 13.7 has about 4 basic mods. air cleaner, chip, fuel pump & reg..

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Jack, I agree everyone has their own opinion so will voice mine.

First, this program is about entertainment, not tech info.

Second, everyone that now owns a GN should be extremely happy that the value of it has probably increased in excess of a $1000 overnight!:)

Third, be aware that the "dudes" believing a modded GN is a 14 sec. car will be trying to "test" any GN they see on the street, and will be shocked when they are blown away.:D

lol--- i agree 2 many people here the show might have been non-educational but remember how many people dont even know what these cars are! i still get "hey man that monte carlo is sweet" lol it was cool 2 see them on tv even if they werent fast....... and im sure everyone here was picking @ everything said or done on the show :)

Just thought I'd ad in that they mentioned the GNX to have 300 hp instead of the correct 276.........Oh well.

Re: GN's on the history channel

Originally posted by SloGN
they also stated that the turbo had a .85 A/R why? can you say ****ty 60ft. slow spool but it was a great example why not to buy a HOT-AIR

:rolleyes: Whatever. How could anyone use this an an example of what's wrong with an 84/85. Good driver/good tuning and the 14.35 would likely become a 12.xx

One of the cars was modified already. It probably had an upgraded fuel pump.

Anybody knows tuning would have gone further than throwing parts at it, but that's not exciting TV.

I would have like to see two different build ups. One like they did, versus the other following a proven, tuning recipe.

It was pretty neat to see that much time dedicated to our cars on T.V. even if it wasn't particularly accurate to anyone with a "power 6 pulse". I guess that I am now dissapointed that the tracks around here are all closed, as my last pass at 12.07...kinda figure in the spring, with a new fuelpump relay - I'm calling out some of you 9 second cars:D .

people keep saying that the problem was that they started out with an 85gn, which is slower. but i honestly doubt that they would have gone much faster with an 86 or 87. these cars are all about tuning, and they didnt tune them at all (they really couldnt with only two days).

-jeff