Zinc

NorEaster

Getting ready to break out the car. Went to NAPA and stocked up on spring cleaning parts.

Asked for Zinc additive and all they had was Lucas TB Zinc plus engine break in oil.

Anybody run this? Should I run this? How much should I use?

I have the Lucas additive because it was the best additive I could find locally (Canada). I read up extensively on the additives and found the Lucas had the "proper" zinc formula. It comes in a 16 oz. bottle, but you only need to add enough to bring your engine oil zinc level up to par. You'll need to find out how much zinc your current engine oil contains and add the Lucas accordingly. If you research engine oil zinc content their are several independent studies, buy the best oil you can and top up the zinc. I did all this 8 months ago and can't remember the exact numbers. The readily available good oils contain about 1200 ppms of zinc, if you add about 1.5 oz. of Lucas it will bring it up to the "recomended" 1800-2000 ppms. The Lucas bottle has the content on the side, you'll just have to do the math.

Buy

Brad penn racing oil and forget the zinc .. It has enough. Most current oils are at just over 800 ppm .his chart must be old if the chart wasnt made after 2009 its wrong .. If your using lucas i would add half a bottle at every change ..

I am out in the sticks in maine. Mobil is about it when it comes to oil. I can get Rotella (15w-40) but it does get cold here and 15 scares me. Right now I am running Mobil 1 10w-30. I will have to research the zinc content. Should I be shooting for 2000 ppm?

1600 ppm was the spec. for oil when these cars were new. Just get zddplus from kirbans, ebay, etc. Stay away from diesel engine oils.

1600 ppm was the spec. for oil when these cars were new. Just get zddplus from kirbans, ebay, etc. Stay away from diesel engine oils.

Looks like this change will be Mobil and Lucas. Ill get some zddplus next order I put in. Thank you for the input.

I sometimes think people spend too much time figuring out what oil to use when it is as simple as using a quality "off the shelf" brand and adding ZDDPlus.

Or

i sometimes think people spend too much time figuring out what oil to use when it is as simple as using a quality "off the shelf" brand and adding zddplus.

just get brad penn and forget about mixing the right amount of zinc.. Too much zinc will kill an engine just like not enough ..

The break in period is the one time running high levels (higher than factory specs of SF oil) of Zinc and Phosphorus are recommended. I wouldn't sweat running 10w-40 Pennzoil (SN) and a whole bottle of ZDDP Plus for the break in and from then on Brad Penn 10w-40 or 10w-30 if you still have the oil cooler.