Zero oil pressure??

dave84gn

Problem guys. Car has been sitting for a month, I started the car and ran it for 30 seconds or so, sounded fine. I look at my gauges and my autometer oil pressure gauge says zero!! And the oil idiot light is on. Shut the car down.

I unscrewed the turbo oil feel line and crank the engine over with the ecm unplugged, and no oil comes out. Plugged ecm back in, then ran the car for 5 seconds and still no oil comes out of the turbo oil feed line.

The car was just stored over winter (6 months up here in Winnipeg!) and it fired up no problem with tons of oil pressure. Drove the car around for a week, no problems. Car sat for the last month while installing various things (like a downpipe) and now I finally get it back together and no oil pressure. Any ideas??

I'm not sure if it's a gauge issue or if I really don't have oil pressure. Help!

Thanks, Dave

DON'T run the engine or even turn it over with the starter until you can verify oil pressure. With none coming out the turbo line, there is none feeding the motor.

Pull the cam sensor and see if the oil pump gears turn with a screw driver. Also make sure the cam sensor gear is still pinned to the shaft. All this checks, run the pump with a drill to see if you can get pressure. If not, prime the pump and filter and make sure plenty of oil is in the pan. You must get pressure w/o turning the engine any further or risk bearing damage or more.

If you do not have an oil cooler like '86-7, remove the pressure spring and plunger, and pack/prime the pump through there if all above fails.

sounds like your pump lost prime.

i've seen it happen but havent ever had that problem myself.

screw the oil filter off then take the bolts out the bottom of the oil pump keep in mind the gears may fall down so go easy taking it off. if the gears fall out no big deal you just stick em back in..

if the pump is dry then you should cram some engine assembly lube up in the gears and put it back together and it should prime right away.

its really simple to do so dont be scared of it and dont run it no more with out oil pressure.

Fixed!!! Yay! Oil pump needed to be primed. Borrowed a drill bit that someone in the local MGNA club had made, turned the oil pump over for about 10 seconds and I got 65 psi oil pressure! Put everything back together, reset the cam sensor and all is well! Thanks for the suggestions and information guys!! :D :D

Dave