Your view on where to hookup a tranny temp. gauge

THE BLACK MAMBA

I`m going to buy a transmission temp gauge and I`ve been reading different threads about mounting the sending unit in the pan for accurate readings...and my question is how much would the temp be off if its tied into the cooler lines running back into the tranny instead of mounting the sending unit in the tranny pan?

Unscrew the test port on the trans and install the sensor there. Clean install, and no messing with the pan or cooler lines.

I would weld a bung in the pan.

would there be a difference in Temp if i put the sending unit in the pan other than tie it in the cooler line? I just dont want to remove the pan and spend more time trying to find someone who can put in a bung and doing the other way would show the same temp....

My $.02..
I run mine in the pan.
The logic: I want to know what the fluid temp is on it's way into the components, not after the fact.

My $.02..
I run mine in the pan.
The logic: I want to know what the fluid temp is on it's way into the components, not after the fact.

That's the way I look at it. Of course you could always run TWO gauges, one on the out to the cooler line and one in the pan.:biggrin: Little bit of overkill there.:)

Took of picture of my install. Simple with minimal tranny fluid ooze as you screw in the sending unit. But I am lazy and don't weld which works against installing a bung in your tranny pan. HTH.

Dean

Attachments

• pictures from Jason's camera 253.jpg
    pictures from Jason's camera 253.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 243
Took of picture of my install. Simple with minimal tranny fluid ooze as you screw in the sending unit. But I am lazy and don't weld which works against installing a bung in your tranny pan. HTH.

Dean

What name brand gauge are you using? do i need to mod anything or does the sending unit just screws in?

My gauge is VDO. I don't recall the size but it screwed right in just like it meant to be there. I don't think anything else has fit so easily when playing with my car than that.

Dean

My gauge is VDO. I don't recall the size but it screwed right in just like it meant to be there. I don't think anything else has fit so easily when playing with my car than that.

Dean

Where did you purchase your VDO? and thanks for the pic

I've got a VDO gauge and it came with an 1/8 sender (sold seperately, actually). I tried inserting it as described in the above post, but it won't go all the way in. The sender has a brass 'probe' portion about a 1/2 inch long, and that brass portion bottoms out on something inside the tranny before the threads can engage. Looks like I'll have to resort to welding a bung on the pan. Nothing is easy it seems.

I purchased my gauge thru Summit. It is the basic Cockpit Black Series. As for the sending unit, someone else mentioned that it was too deep to fit. Maybe the sending unit has been modified as I purchased mine about 10 years ago. I had no fitment problems at all.

Dean