Your gains from new Champion intake?

disco stu

This has kind of been discussed, but nothing that has helped me make a decision.

So, I want to know, if you have changed to a Champion intake and have a good set of heads, what were your results. If your car is 9's and faster that would be even more helpful.

It looks to me like the biggest gains from the intake will not only come from the intake itself but from also what it will allow you to do with the heads.
Mike

Mike Licht said:
It looks to me like the biggest gains from the intake will not only come from the intake itself but from also what it will allow you to do with the heads.
Mike
Expand on that last statement please Mike.

I am in a mood today, sorry. If you do the porting on the heads and intake together you can do a high port version that moves much more air. I have done high port setups with the stock manifold but they need lots of welding and fabrication and the result is not as good.
Mike

Hmm... well I have CNC Irons and right now a stock intake with stock doghouse and TB. I'm thinking 70mm TB and PTE house and a Champion ported stocker. Though the idea of the new intake is interesting me a bit. How must does a complete (intake, rails, regulator, and 70mm TB) run and how does that compare to a Champion ported stocker with the above stuff including the 70mm house and TB and a power plate? What would the performance differences be aswell on the CNC Iron heads?

Thanks,

Mike Licht said:
Mike

I guess I'll just try it out and see what the gains are going from a ported stocker to a Champion, since I plan on raising the runners down the road anyway. I have high hopes that it will do something though. Twice the plenum volume and injectors not hanging way out in the runner (always bothered me) should do something it would seem.

disco stu

Do the turbo upgrade first then run the car, switch back to the present turbo with the Champion intake, run the car again, let us know which mod produces the most gain, then give her hell with both upgrades :biggrin: I put my money on the turbo upgrade resulting in the best gains Easier to switch turbos than intakes

9sec.

I am hoping the intake is worth .2 over a stock intake. But i am switching to a distributor at the same time, so its going to be difficult to tell

Dang it Norbs, it would be cool if you did the discribulator after you did the intake. That way we might know if either are all they are cracked up to be.

Well i am bad for doing too many changes at once. I need to own a personal dyno

I use the stock intake with the champion R (LAC2) heads. I port match the intake, by using a gasket tamplate. then i bolt the head to the intake (no engine) and final match port. the job in very involve/costly. the champion intake is on the list.... :biggrin:

Well, I am pulling the motor this weekend because cyl 1 got hot, melted a plug, and lost compression on that hole. :confused: Kinda pissed because the tune was pretty safe (25 psi, 23* timing, 11.3:1 a/f. I'm thinking clogged injector. I think I could have had a 9.4 if I could have kept turning it up.

So I think I am going to go ahead and order the intake and slap it on before it goes back in.

Your gonna keep melting if you don't go with a distributor :wink: Heres some of the install pics. The waste spark i think effects the a/f ratio thinking you to belive its rich its not. This is my theory anyway

Attachments

• Untitled-2 copy.JPG
    Untitled-2 copy.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 380
Distrib with bracket cut off

Attachments

• Untitled-3 copy.JPG
    Untitled-3 copy.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 379
Tensioner..........well whats left of it

Attachments

• tensioner.JPG
    tensioner.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 391
SO much for the factory throttle bracket fitting??????????

Attachments

• throttle.JPG
    throttle.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 375