Yike$...GM Part$!!

deezdad

Gathering my parts for re-build walked into local Buick dealership for lifters, water pump, gaskets etc... jaw hit the ground $20 per lifter...$50 for intake gasket...$150 for water pump...walked out-didn't buy...need to look into plan "B" or at least find out if this is typical or is this dealer lining their pockets...I was expecting $100/for all lifters, $35 for water pump, etc...Maybe this is just one way GM is trying to fill in their financial canyon

gmpartsdirect.com

I got a GM waterpump shipped to my door for like $62. They are great on the big stuff, some small stuff like gaskets isn't worth it once you figure in shipping and handling charges.

HTH :cool:

Phfeeww...engine builder has the gm lifters for $8-ish per....thanks dcving will try out that source

That's a good price for GM lifters. Make sure your engine builder actually has GM lifters, and not lifters for your GM application. I still amazed GM has anything for our cars 20 years after they stopped producing them. Brian

deezdad said:
need to look into plan "B" or at least find out if this is typical or is this dealer lining their pocketsMaybe this is just one way GM is trying to fill in their financial canyon

I can tell you those are GM's suggested list prices and neither the dealer nor GM is lining their pockets.If you really want to cry about the price to fix your 20 YO car than call up a dealer that has matrix pricing. Maybe your plan B should be to negotiate some wholesale pricing with a local dealer. If you want to see an example of a dealer lining their pockets than look at what gmpartsdirect nails you on shipping! I work on commision just like every other parts guy out there so remember when you waste a guys time complaining about prices than they aint getting paid for their time when you decide to buy on-line. Might I suggest that you try one of your local dealers that advertises at the race tracks and sponsors rod runs or car shows. Those are usually the ones that offer discounts.

Turbofish, not flaming you, just giving some examples of what I've run into.

turbofish38 said:
I can tell you those are GM's suggested list prices and neither the dealer nor GM is lining their pockets. Maybe your plan B should be to negotiate some wholesale pricing with a local dealer.
Been there tried that. I asked if I could get the mechanics price and the guy just laughed at me. So I laughed at him and told him I would find it somewhere else.
If you want to see an example of a dealer lining their pockets than look at what gmpartsdirect nails you on shipping!
Many times though their price is still cheaper. I've even shown parts guy a print out of their website and asked if he could get me near the shipped price that I would rather buy it and not have to wait for shipping. Once again I was told I couldn't get anything but suggested list price.
I work on commision just like every other parts guy out there so remember when you waste a guys time complaining about prices than they aint getting paid for their time when you decide to buy on-line.
Maybe its a different system where you are, but the local dealers around here get paid hourly. Maybe that is why they won't cut deals here. :confused:

If anyone wants to try online dealers, you might try http://www.partszoneonline.com/contactUs.html
I've had good luck with them and they don't rip you on shipping like some. There's an 800 number listed there so you could call and ask the parts guy questions. Or you could pick Eric's brain on here like I do... ;)

David

DCVING 6 said:
Maybe its a different system where you are, but the local dealers around here get paid hourly. Maybe that is why they won't cut deals here. :confused:

I work in a chevy dealership, and I know that our parts guys are comission. I also know that our parts department makes a ton more money selling in larger quantities to other companies than it does to walk-in customers, or the parts sold to repair the cars we work on for that matter.

Ben