Yet another PT51 Post

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
As promised a couple of months ago during the PT51 "discussions", I finally took a look at the exhaust wheel on my PT51. It's got a little over 1,000 miles on it - maybe 1,500 at this point. My motor has developed SEVERE rod knock so I pulled the turbo today. Engine comes out next weekend.

Turbo looks good, IMO. I don't know what to look for, but there's no melted blades or scraping. There's a lot of carbon for the mileage, but the car has been running really rich lately.

Pics are here:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/PT51_042002-01.jpg
http://www.turbojimmy.com/PT51_042002-02.jpg
http://www.turbojimmy.com/PT51_042002-03.jpg

Jim

Bummer on the knock.

But the wheel looks fine, also, looks like the wastegate puck wasn't covering the wastegate hole all the way.

Originally posted by WarpSpeed
Bummer on the knock.

But the wheel looks fine, also, looks like the wastegate puck wasn't covering the wastegate hole all the way.

Yeah, the rod knock sucks. What can you do. You wanna play, you gotta pay. The PT51 and CAS V4 were working too well - had some knock at about 22 PSI. Took out some bearings.

And yes, it does look like the puck was missing a bit. That would explain a lot (as in slow spool). How do I fix that? Looks like I might be able to just bend it?

Thanks,
Jim

Maybe, but with my luck, it'd snap off, which usually happens right after that "just alittle more". Anyway, you may have to elongate the holes alittle too. It looks like the whole thing could go up an 1/8".

My PT51 is fine as well. I took a good look at the wheel the other day and it looks ok. I'm very happy with the turbo and the service that Precision has provided.

-Banning.

good to hear you guys are having good luck with them.

wait till you get in the 120 mph trap speed range...:D actually my buddy's car runs 115-116 and it took about 4 1/2 months of all the time race trim for his to go...the second time

i've been beating the hell out of my car for the last 4-5 days at 22# on the well over 100,000 stock turbo and so far so good the car is so rescrited with the stock turbo it falls flat on its face if i hit it and it downshifts. but at lower rpms its kinda fun

either way i am stuffing way way too much air thru this old ass stock turbo and all the blades are holding on...:confused:

btw you cant tell nothing about the week spots in the wheel with the housing on it. they break from the back of the wheel

not saying if yours are good or bad but looking at them like that will tell you nothing.

pull the housing off and the backside of the wheel...about a 1/4" down the blades inspect very carefully for cracks..they will be hard to see but look good...if none have acually broke off which it dont look to have then the rest of the blades will look fine but like i said check for cracks real good.

forget the ends of the blades in my pics and pay attention from the backside of the wheel at the height the ones that are broke acually broke at you will notice the blades missing are all broke at the same place and several of them had cracks in the same area.

good luck just trying to let you know what to look for.
]the pics

I'll have to do pull the housing off one of these days, then

On the misaligned puck, it looks like the puck is as low as it will go on the DP, but needs to be about 1/8" lower to seal completely. So the DP needs moved down. is this what you meant by elongating the holes?

Thanks,
Jim

Originally posted by WarpSpeed
Yeap. Although the bolt heads might interfer on the outside, maybe.

Looks like I have enough room. It needs to move down and to the right - kinda diagnol. I should be able to get enough out of it for it to seal.

Now - what to cut the THDP flange with?

Jim

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
btw you cant tell nothing about the week spots in the wheel with the housing on it. they break from the back of the wheel

I don't mean to get off topic, but I have been away for a few months.

It appears there have been some problems with the 51's.

Having a PTE-51/.63 on beloved GN I have to ask - What's up?

Sorry Guys

The search brought up tons of information - including pictures.

No need to rehash it here.

Guys...I am looking for a performance turbo that I can drive everyday, and not worry about it falling apart. Down the road I would like to get a better cam and intercooler when my car is running better. I know the 49 turbo is a good one, but how much better is it then the stock one.

Thanks
Chris

i have my stock one on my car now since i had the problems and i can say it dont run nothing like the ta49 i had on here between the other p.o.s's

i dont see this stock one getting nowhere near the top end the 49 had.

matter fact i think its kinda funny how this thing wont let my motor turn up it just falls on its face when it runs out of breath.

and my stock one has ported housings on it.

Originally posted by 5.0 THIS
I know the 49 turbo is a good one, but how much better is it then the stock one.

Thanks
Chris

The stock turbo is a great turbo. Low 12's and 110 mph not even really trying. To run faster than this, you start needing a bigger turbo. At 23 psi of boost, a TA49 is guaranteed about .3/5 mph faster than the stock turbo. That doesn't sound like a lot, but below 12.0, you have to scratch and claw for every tenth.

How bad would my car drive with the stock converter and a larger turbo. Also I don't want to buy a turbo that will need replacing every couple of thousand miles. I put about 15,000 miles on my car last year so I want something that will last.

Chris

With a TA49 it will drive like stock. There is no reason you shouldn't get long life out of a TA49.