Xylene Vs. Toluene

Andre Ellis said:
I didn't hurt it with the 50# injectors and a TE45a it was when I up graded to
a LT74,75#injectors,larger cam and stock main caps otherwise I was very pleased with my old combo and may go back to it.

Thanks for chiming in....I knew I would screw the details up....

No problem blazer 406, I will say this I was very impressed with razor's alky system on your GN the other night.

SVORay said:
That is what I was going to say.

Now has anyone had knock with using something around 95 octane w/20-23psi? My thinking was using about 10-15 gallons of 91-92 Octane ( thats we got here) and about 2-3 gallons of 113 octane. That should bring it up around 95~ plus I would use an Alky kit.
You can run 23-25 PSI with 91 Octane and enough Alchy.... :)

SVORay said:
That is what I was going to say.

Now has anyone had knock with using something around 95 octane w/20-23psi? My thinking was using about 10-15 gallons of 91-92 Octane ( thats we got here) and about 2-3 gallons of 113 octane. That should bring it up around 95~ plus I would use an Alky kit.

If you're going to run only 21 'ish psi boost W/ ALKY--why bother with adding Xy or Tol??? :confused:

TurboMonte 2 said:
If you're going to run only 21 'ish psi boost W/ ALKY--why bother with adding Xy or Tol??? :confused:

I was really thinking of C16 race fuel and not mixing fuel. I would probaly mess up mixng my own fuel. Anyways,I just didn't know, I figured you still needed to run race fuel even when using an Alky kit. I'm still just a noob learning is all.

Quick question, how long can I store the toluene? I have 3 gals left, will it last until spring or should I add something to it to keep it from degrading?

Xylene in gas....

Gas already has Xylene and Toluene in it, 1 to 17%, depending on octane rating... :) More of it won't hurt, unless it's "too much" :eek:
Here's Chevron's Data Sheet:

==========================================================

Material Safety Data Sheet
SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

CHEVRON and TEXACO PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINES
Product Use: Fuel
Product Number(s): CPS201019 [See Section 16 for Additional Product Numbers]
Synonyms: Calco Premium Gasoline, Chevron Premium Unleaded Gasoline, Chevron Supreme Unleaded Gasoline, Texaco Power Premium Unleaded Gasoline
Company Identification
Chevron Products Company
Marketing, MSDS Coordinator
6001 Bollinger Canyon Road
San Ramon, CA 94583
United States of America

Transportation Emergency Response
CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300 or (703) 527-3887
Health Emergency
ChevronTexaco Emergency Information Center: Located in the USA. International collect calls accepted. (800) 231-0623 or (510) 231-0623
Product Information
Technical Information: (510) 242-5357

SPECIAL NOTES: This MSDS applies to: all motor gasoline.

SECTION 2 COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT

Gasoline 86290-81-5 100 %volume
Benzene 71-43-2 0.1 - 4.9 %volume
Toluene (methylbenzene) 108-88-3 1 - 17 %volume
Ethyl benzene 100-41-4 0.1 - 3 %volume
Xylene (contains o-, m-, & p- xylene isomers in varying amounts) 1330-20-7 1 - 15 %volume
Butane 106-97-8 1 - 12 %volume
Heptane 142-82-5 1 - 4 %volume
Hexane 110-54-3 1 - 5 %volume
Cyclohexane 110-82-7 1 - 3 %volume
Methylcyclohexane 108-87-2 1 - 2 %volume
Pentane, 2,2,4-trimethyl- (Isooctane) 540-84-1 1 - 13 %volume
Naphthalene 91-20-3 0.1 - 2 %volume
Ethanol 64-17-5 0 - 10 %volume
Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) 1634-04-4 0 - 15 %volume
Tertiary amyl methyl ether (TAME) 994-05-8 0 - 17 %volume
Ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE) 637-92-3 0 - 18 %volume

Motor gasoline is considered a mixture by EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). The refinery streams used to blend motor gasoline are all on the TSCA Chemical Substances Inventory. The appropriate CAS number for refinery blended motor gasoline is 86290-81-5. The product specifications of motor gasoline sold in your area will depend on applicable Federal and State regulations.

SECTION 3 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Sorry if you misunderstood, I was just wondering how long can I store the unused portion of toluene and if I need to add anything to it to keep it from degrading over the winter. Thanks for the good info :).

wordy1 said:
Sorry if you misunderstood, I was just wondering how long can I store the unused portion of toluene and if I need to add anything to it to keep it from degrading over the winter. Thanks for the good info :).
FWIW, I've kept zylene in a tightly capped can for six months at at a time....It seemed OK the next Spring, but I didn't do any scientific testing to prove it. :)

Keep xylene and toluene capped and out of the sunlight and they will last forever.

I was looking at a list of all the characteristics for different flammables, and I think it was toluene that looked extremely promising as a replacement for alky or methanol in Alky injection systems. Its pre-ignition temperature numbers were FAR superior to that of Alky and Methanol, as well as many other numbers I saw. I just wonder if it would kill the pump really quick. I'd like to search for the thread where I linked that page, but the search function doesnt work for me. Hasnt worked it months. I'll throw in the EXACT name letter for letter of the thread name and it always comes back with zero results. :mad: Never mind..I found it..and it was Xylene, not toluene:
Click on the "FUEL" link in my post
This thread will answer any question you can come up with about fuels and making your own recipes.

VadersV6 said:
I was looking at a list of all the characteristics for different flammables, and I think it was toluene that looked extremely promising as a replacement for alky or methanol in Alky injection systems. Its pre-ignition temperature numbers were FAR superior to that of Alky and Methanol, as well as many other numbers I saw. I just wonder if it would kill the pump really quick. I'd like to search for the thread where I linked that page, but the search function doesnt work for me. Hasnt worked it months. I'll throw in the EXACT name letter for letter of the thread name and it always comes back with zero results. :mad: Never mind..I found it..and it was Xylene, not toluene:
Click on the "FUEL" link in my post
This thread will answer any question you can come up with about fuels and making your own recipes.
NO...You're on the wrong thought track here. :)

Dip your finger in Methanol then take it out and let the methanol evaporate....It will be dry in just a moment and you will feel the cold affect on the finger. That COOLING is what makes these injection systems cool the air charge and allow more boost without detonation. :)

Lee_Burough said:

Dip your finger in Methanol then take it out and let the methanol evaporate....It will be dry in just a moment and you will feel the cold affect on the finger. That COOLING is what makes these injection systems cool the air charge and allow more boost without detonation. :)

Methanol also has an equivalent octane rating around 120 or so... thats why they use it in super High compression race engines... The cooling and the octane boost are both reasons for using it... methanol can be used in engines as high as 19:1 without problems... after that I think they start mixing in 10% nitro methane to stabilize the detonation...

Hmmmm R/C car fuel can range from 10-40% nitro methane, 6-10% lube, and the rest is methanol... Hmmmmm.... R/C car fuel injection???! I think I will start a new post about this...

Lee_Burough said:

Not sure what you're getting at. I know why methanol/alky systems work. Its not only the cooling of the intake charge but the increase of average octane when mixed with gas...ends up at about 100 with alky. Throw some xylene on your finger and tell me you dont get the same cooling effect. Something tells me you either didnt read anything on the page I linked up, or you just didnt understand it. The characteristics we're looking for........the characteristics of xylene are superior to those of methanol. I was wondering if anyone had ever experimented with anything other than alky or methanol. Injecting alky or methanol increases the autoignition temperature (pre-ignition)...the temperature at which pre-ignition occurs. Using the research octane and motor octane formula, you can see that the octane is alot higher with xylene over methanol. Plus the autoignition temperature is alot higher as well.

So which do you inject?

Julio uses Methanol, good enough for me.