Xylene Vs. Toluene

wordy1

For all those interested, went to Sherwin Williams today, cost was $6.50 a gal for toluene if you buy the 5 gal. Xylene was $8.50 and according to the dealer, has been going up steadily. Just make sure you set-up an account. How much of a difference is there between the 2?

Went to gnttype.org, they claim that Xylene/Toluene can be bought for $2.50 a gal, can it be bought for cheaper elsewhere?

How long can I leave pure Toluene mixed with some MMO (about 1-2 ounces a gal okay?) in a plastic gas container to bring to the track? Is there a fool proof way to add it without worry of splashing it on the paint? Any other adverse effects of using Toluene on a regular basis?

There are no places to get race gas anywhere around here and its $12 a gal for 112 at the nearest track, but they only sell it during drag nights. I'd rather do that, but its 50 miles away, will Toluene tide me over till I can make it there, or can I use it exclusively, even at the track? Been trying to test and tune my car on the street (side roads of course), to get the set-up right before I snug the car away for winter storage.

Really just wondering if toluene is really worth running and what your guys' experience has been and if I can use it in replacement of race gas or just to use as an octane booster on a regualr basis. I'd get race gas if I could, but none to buy around here.

I got a lot of decisions to make, will do my thinking in the winter... Alky's on the top of my list, LS1 maf and tranlator is next, followed by better suspension all around, and maybe a higher stall :confused: gonna put away $3k this winter to put into it and gotta put my money in all the right places. Already got $1k put away for paint, so got about $2k to put into her and already have a short list of things that total about a grand, new guages, recalibrated speedo, hood insulation, turbo shield, turbo decals, etc.

I am also trying to save $12k to take a trip down to Florida and pick out between 2 different TRs. Or maybe even a TR near me. I love that Charcoal color too much not to have one. Just wish I could find one with an astroroof. I'm offically hooked, these cars are just too cool, been a monte guy since I started driving. Thank the good lord that I was blessed finding this car with this little V6 that could. Or should I thank Buick for that?

not worth the hassle..

I have tried this stuff a couple of different times.It sucks, and you are rolling the dice,You only gain a second or so over 93 pump gas any more and you might knock.Just spend the extra few dollars and get real race gas or alky, period. :cool:

I have used toluene many times 5 gal in 15 gal of 93 brings you up to about 100 octane. (Use a funnel to put in the tank so you don't spill it on the car)
Ok as a stop gap but I would use race fuel at the track.

Board member Andre Ellis is a friend of mine. He has run Tolulene in his T on 93 gas and gone 10.70's I think. He did end up hurting the motor... but it could have been that he was hout of injector.... he had either 50# or 55# injectors...... really too small to run mid 10's..... Contact him if you want some first hand info.

should I not put this stuff in my car? I am a little worried now. What damage can be done?

conn84gn said:
I have used toluene many times 5 gal in 15 gal of 93 brings you up to about 100 octane. (Use a funnel to put in the tank so you don't spill it on the car)

Whats a stop gap?

I ran Xylene with a TT 100 octain chip and 36lb injectors. No knock problems. I just didn't like mixing it. I went to AlkyControl and never looked back.

I have used toluene a bit with good results. A full tank of 93 octane, and 2 gallons of toluene mixed with about 5 Oz of ATF. I was at 18-19 PSI on the stock chip with no knock. Everything else on the car was stock.

I have since discovered 100 octane low lead gas from the airport. It's about $4.50 a gallon right now. I'm running a test pipe, so I'm not worried about the cat clogging, and I can deal with changing the O2 sensor every once in awhile. If you have a small airport near by, this might be an option for you.

Oh ya, the cheapest I can find toluene around here is $5.50 a gallon. I have never seen it as low as the prices quoted on .org.

Also, the guy at Sherwin Williams that I buy it from is familiar with using it as an octane booster and recommends toluene over xylene, he claims the toluene is less corrosive to the fuel system, but I don't know for sure.

http://gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

http://gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

http://gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html

http://gnttype.org/techarea/misc/racefuel.html

15 gallons 93 with 5 toulene is a 25%mix ,
a 30% mix with 93 would be about 100

Thanks guys, I'll be putting it in today, I'll let you guys know the results. Want to use it for tuning to see what timing I can set and what boost levels at 100 octane. I will still be using race fuel at the track.

I run xylene all the time. 3 gal. of 93 octane and 1 gal. of xylene plus 1 oz. of marvel mystery oil. 20-21 lbs of boost....no knock! $10.00 a gal. here! RB.

Old School Vs New School....

There was a time when we did not have the option of Alchy injection....That was the day of Touline and Zylene. (The $2.xx price in the article should tip you off to the fact that it was years ago....)

I've done the mixing too. Difficult to have the SAME mix every time risks a higher potential for a broken motor.

Alchy is finitely calibrated and consistant....The new way to do things. I'd personally do Alchy BEFORE the other things you mentioned. :)

Alchy works great- no doubt about it and easlier to adjust.
BUT, I have used both Touline and Zylene since 1990. My silver T-type has had hundreds of gallons run through it since 1992. It now has over 330,000 miles on the gas tank and fuel lines. Replaced intank pump 3-4 years ago and the inside of the tank still looked good.
Never had any problems from using Touline and Zylene.
For racing I used 1 gal per 3 gal of 93-94 octane gasoline with 1-2 oz MM per gal of Touline and Zylene.
For everyday use (17# of boost) I would put 1 gal to a 3/4 or so tank of gas.
Just my 2cents.

Gary

Alky seems like the way to go, but for I just want to make sure that I can run at higher boost levels with the chip I have before winter sets in and I can feel good putting the car away for winter without trying to diagnose a problem and not being able to drive it.

It seems I have started a debate here, and you guys all seem to feel strongly either for it or against it. Thanks for the input..

You can use either, and it will work fine if you mix it properly and consistantly. (don't forget the Marvel Mystery oil or something similiar) Xylene has a bit more octane rating though. As said above, before alky became popular, this was a good alternative for people who didn't have race gas available to them. I was one of them....and it worked. If mixed 25% xylene with 75% 93 octane you'll have roughly 99 - 100 octane. Tune accordingly.

Isn't there a (slight-moderate-big) health risk involved with that stuff?
I know. I sound like a chicken-s..t old lady.
But, it is kinda nasty stuff, right?

Lee_Burough said:
There was a time when we did not have the option of Alchy injection....That was the day of Touline and Zylene. (The $2.xx price in the article should tip you off to the fact that it was years ago....)

I've done the mixing too. Difficult to have the SAME mix every time risks a higher potential for a broken motor.

Alchy is finitely calibrated and consistant....The new way to do things. I'd personally do Alchy BEFORE the other things you mentioned. :)

That is what I was going to say.

Now has anyone had knock with using something around 95 octane w/20-23psi? My thinking was using about 10-15 gallons of 91-92 Octane ( thats we got here) and about 2-3 gallons of 113 octane. That should bring it up around 95~ plus I would use an Alky kit.

I didn't hurt it with the 50# injectors and a TE45a it was when I up graded to
a LT74,75#injectors,larger cam and stock main caps otherwise I was very pleased with my old combo and may go back to it.