Xtronics and PP2, terrible

Alvin

Let me say that I use that I use chip burners often for both work and play. I use them more than the average joe and have been dealing with electronics including eproms professionally for 6 years.

In my time I've gone threw 3 pocket programmers. they get off to where they will not do anything but read back A5 or fail to see the device all together. Right now I have 2 that just eat power supplies.. they will turn a power supply hot enough to burn someone in a few seconds.

I called Xtronics today and spoke with Carl about the issues I was having.. I went open minded looking for some help like maybe ... replace this chip, check voltage here, we will exchange one out etc.. Instead I was accused of touching parts and static discharge was the problem and it was my fault. He wouldn't offer a touch of assistance for self diagnostic and instead insisted on me sending the unit back so they can charge me again to refurbish the unit.

Now, let me skip on to say that I have a programmer and 2 emulators from another company (remain nameless to prevent pitting one against the other).. I've NEVER had that programmer fail. I'm on the same one that I got a few years back and one of first in production. I've had issues during beta on the emulators but those issues where quickly resolved and I was never charged a dime. Instead that company learned from what I was breaking and fine tweaked the product.

The only problem is the other programmer doesn't do chips I often need at work.

I feel cheated by Xtronics.. there is no excuse for me having to pay for my 4th programmer in 6 years. I think the support there is almost offending as he tries to charge you for "updated software" and only offers support for 1 year. I also feel like Xtronics makes a sub par piece of equipment which maybe OK for personal use but definitely not rugged enough for much more than that.

To add insult to injury.. the best Xtronics would do for me is offer me free shipping on my 4th burner.

I run a buisness myself and I understand that some customers can be a pain the butt.. I've tried my hardest not to. I'm just looking for a trade out, or at least a 4th burner at cost instead of the $179 list price. In my opinion they are putting making $$ well infront of taking customers who I would have considered myself as loyal at least up until he jerked me around on the phone today.

If anyone knows of any reliable programmers that can confortably handle 21V eproms please let me know. My "other company" burner handles everything nicely automotive and I don't have to worry about it leaving me hi and dry..

How many chips have you burned with the intronics piece?I personally don't use win p2p software, as i found it doesn't work properly. I would stick to the dos version fileprom.exe

Maybe this is the mystery cause of the failures?

norbs said:
How many chips have you burned with the intronics piece?I personally don't use win p2p software, as i found it doesn't work properly. I would stick to the dos version fileprom.exe

Maybe this is the mystery cause of the failures?

I would say around 100 or so.. I use it for oddball repairs or unusual stuff. I also use it for 2732's (which I don't use too often)

Honestly no more than a years use and they normally go south on me. Its one thing to put out a crappy product but its totally another thing to blow off your customers (that up till today have been loyal)

Can you open it up and see what components are failing?

I've heard from several folks that the PP2 are not industrial strength, especially for commerical type use. I have one and its performed well for me for that last 4-5 years, but I don't use it that often, maybe burned 100 or so chips total on it in 4-5 years. It was fairly cheap from what I remember compared to other burners so that may explain it.

Hey Guys,
Have you ever heard of or used the burner at the link below? I would like to burn my own chips, but it seems most on this board use the pocket programmer. I do not want to blaze new ground, but maybe this programmer can be an alternative. It is also less expensive then the pocket programmer.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://www.futurlec.com/EPROMProg.shtml
Later,
James

connected while in windows may be an issue... if the port is polled with any voltage I wonder if problems may arise. I make sure to never have the cable connected or failing that, power connected to my programmer while windows is loaded.

I don't use windows at all, i find burning the chips just did not work correctly at all. Sometimes they did, sometimes values in the chips were corrupted, even reading the chips, was not reliable