XFI PA comments

TurboTR

sprayhead
I'm a bit puzzled by the way the PA global TPS activation parameter works for the XFI.

In the good old days, a nitrous kit had a throttle switch. When the throttle was opened enough, the nitrous could come on. When the throttle closed the nitrous would go off.

It seems to me the XFI global PA TPS parameter should do the same thing. That is, when the throttle falls below the activation threshold or closes the PA stage(s) should immediately go OFF as well. However, as far as I can tell so far they do not. I have a log file from this weekend at the Clash of the Titans in San Antonio that shows stage 1 PA continuing on, even after the TPS % fell back below the activation threshold % for a few moments. This is troublesome.

Plus it seems to me that additional PA stages could or should also be enabled based on a logic input, not just a time delay. For example the 2nd stage of a 2 stage nitrous kit could be enabled based on reaching high gear in your transmission. It seems at least 2 of the stages (more like 3) should have a logic input (battery level tolerant) that "arms" the PA stage. Not just the lone global PA enable input the unit has that enables/disables or arms all PA.

As it stands, it seems the only way to bring in extra PA stages is via time delay referenced to stage 1 PA triggering.

However there is also the "PA Hold" input. Seems maybe this could be used to at least accomplish having the 2nd stage of PA come in only when the transmission was in the chosen gear? That is, tie the PA Hold input to the gear switch, set the 2nd stage delay to 0 and it should then activate the 2nd stage PA immediately on reaching that gear, assuming the 1st stage has been activated of course. Correct?

Can anyone confirm, and explain why these strategies were chosen? TIA

TurboTR

Correction. Updated my XFI version. Now the log file shows the PA Stage variable transitioning from 1 to 0 while the TPS is below the threshold. This is what I'd expect. However the PA Retard variable does not change during that time; it continues to show 5 deg retard.

I'd post the log picture if I could.

TurboTR

What you are seeing with the timing is, I believe, a safety precaution. It gives a chance for any nitrous in the intake tract to be processed before the timing retard is turned off. Does the timing come back in after a bit?

Thanks Craig. The TPS dip (and PA Stage change) in this case was about 0.2 sec wide. The PA Retard continued to show 5 deg in the log once triggered, and in fact it did not go back to 0 until 1 sec after the throttle closed at the the end of the run.

TurboTR