X-MODS...how hard to build one?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I've seen the GNs and GNXs on Ebay and was wondering how hard these things are to build? They look like regular model kits that have lights and motors added. I've seen the kits at Radio Shack, but none were turbo Regals. Can you buy a kit from Radio Shack and install it on your own model? The ones on Ebay look nice. The only problem I see with them is the builder keeps placing the opera window on the inside, rather than the outside of the car. I actually did that with my first GN I built. :smile:

I built one. You have to extend the chassis for the wheel base to be the same. I extended the rear, which was pretty tough, and made all my own parts such as driveshaft, body mounts, etc. The more I see them on ebay, I think they actually extend the front of the chassis out now. I dunno, thought about buying on off ebay, but they are pricey. Mines in my hobby desk, just waiting for some time. NOTE: I used the original Xmods chassis, not the new evolution series. HTH

Every time I see that one, I laugh. If you can put decent paint on a 1/24 scale kit, you can make an x-mod out of it.
The first generation ones are easy to convert- to lengthen the chassis, you just need to make a spacer for the rear end. If you want it to be 4wd, you make a longer shaft.
I haven't messed with the new generation ones, but if it has an adjustable wheelbase, it should be just as easy.
Some people just like spending money I guess.

mbartell said:
Every time I see that one, I laugh. If you can put decent paint on a 1/24 scale kit, you can make an x-mod out of it.
The first generation ones are easy to convert- to lengthen the chassis, you just need to make a spacer for the rear end. If you want it to be 4wd, you make a longer shaft.
I haven't messed with the new generation ones, but if it has an adjustable wheelbase, it should be just as easy.
Some people just like spending money I guess.

Have you ever built one? I haven't went to Radio Shack to check out the XMODS yet but I checked the prices online. It seems that after you buy the model kit, paint, Xmods kit and all the upgrades the guy on ebay includes you would probably end up paying about what they are going for on ebay. I figured $100 was about right for one. He offered me a second chance offer after I lost one of the auctions. My bid was $100 so he said he would build me a GNX with all the best stuff for my bid.

Its a little harder than you think. Not only do you have to lengthen the chassis, but you have to make a new rear motor mount, and a driveshaft. Then you have to make body mounts and extend wires for the length of the chassis. The biggest problem I ran into was getting the chassis extended w/o altering the height of the front chassis to the rear part of the chassis. I was fighting binding issues with the driveshaft at first, but pretty well got it going now. So before you laugh, try one yourself :cool: