WTF? Baldwin B9 and biggie adapter don't thread...

Dan K

I decided I'd get up early this morning and change the oil in the car and start it for the first time this spring.
For some reason I checked to make sure the Baldwin B9 oil filter I got would thread onto the RJC biggie adapter, and it doesn't!.
It starts to thread, gets a 1/4 turn, and stops.
Why? :mad:

OK, just got back from Autozone.
PF24 threads on fine, and so do the PH25 and PH11 but I'd rather not use Fram stuff.
M1-203 doesn't work though. Starts and gets about a 1/4 turn just like the Baldwins I have. :sad:
Doesn't make any sense to me. Aren't they all supposed to be 13/16-16?

I bought the PF24 so I guess I can use that and it seems like the anti-drainback works ok. Is there a longer version of it?
Autozone didn't know how to cross reference it to a longer version or anything.

I ran into the same thing. The Purolator filter (forget the number) threaded on fine. The B9 got about one turn, then got tight. I got it on, but it took a pretty good amount of effort to get it on. I'm not really sure what the deal with that is, because the B9 threaded onto my Olds just fine.

I got a case of 12 last year from the truck parts store.

So far I've used 4 of them with no problems and they thread fine on my 2 biggie adapters.

Much more than one turn as well.

Make sure they start on right!!!

They start fine. They get about 1/4 turn and then stop. Same with the Mobil 1's.
I'm going to see if I can get a 16 pitch file and clean the threads up. Maybe they're just boogered up or something.

FWIW & IMHO:
Might want to consider measuring the threads of the adapter before chasing threads. Threads are designed so that there is not an interference on straight threads. I don't ever remember looking closely at the threads when changing oil filters, but those threads are straight and not tapered, right?

i have had mine for over 1 year and never ran into the problem your having , but if i remember it did start a bit hard but i was able to get it in with no problems, the second one went in with no problems..

I got ahold of a 13/16-16 tap and ran it into the B9's and it went without much of a problem.
There might have been a slight burr right at the beginning. But not much of one.
I guess next time I change the oil I'll try one of them again. Makes no sense to me.