Wrist pins choice

KWIKR 1

Looking to upgrade the wrist pins in a new set of JE Extreme Duty Invdome pistons . The pins that came with the set are JE's Standard Performance 51 series #927-2950-15-51s (Low Carbon Case Hardened ) . They have a wall thickness of .150" @ 139 grams . According to JE good for about 650hp in a NA application .

Je suggest the 93 series pins (9310 Nickel Carbon Steel Alloy ) for a high HP boost application . I have two choices . One with a wall thickness of .150" @ 129 grams (#927-2950-15-93S). This is the one JE recommends . Or a set with a .170" wall thickness @ 148 grams (#927-2950-17-93S). Would I not be better off with the second set ? or would the pins be to heavy ?

Im by no means a engine builder but i would use the the .170

I run the same pistons upgrade. Just cant remember which of the two.

Im by no means a engine builder but i would use the the .170

I run the same pistons upgrade. Just cant remember which of the two.

I think I'll contact the shop who'll be doing the balance job and fly it by them . Louie , did you go with the JE Pro Seal rings ? or did you step up a set of steel rings , Hellfires....or ?

You should have bought my pistons I could have put them in the same box!!

:) in hindsight I most likely should of . Put I already had a set of brand new 5.7" forged H beams w/19 bolts on the shelf . Your rods/piston combo is based on a 6" rod . would of ended up with a extra set of rods . I got a real good deal on these JE's , that was the reason I bought them . so I'm still happy and ahead dollar wise . :) :)

About 4 years ago all everyone would talk about was Hellfire. Thats what I used. So far so good.

as much as I can . :D :) at least in the 750-800 hp range .

That is not too much an upgraded pin is need. If you looking for more a larger pin is worth the money. If you bend a pin you will have the SAW the piston in half to try and save the rod.... Getting good pins is important.

Ring, Hellfires do work there are some better ring out these days. Again better cost more too.

I reading mix reviews on the Hellfires on a engine that will see street duty . saying they are a little hard on the cylinders for wear .

ordered the JE 93 series .170 pins . we'll see what happens . :) Should be no problem on a 800-900rwhp from what I was told . :)

contacted a few engine builders and a person at JE who knows his stuff... NOT friggin sales people . :mad: :) Upgrading the pins to a .200" wall 9310 Steel/Casidiam . :) you know you have a problem when you take the day off work to make sure you get the right wrist pins . lol . :D :)

contacted a few engine builders and a person at JE who knows his stuff... NOT friggin sales people . :mad: :) Upgrading the pins to a .200" wall 9310 Steel/Casidiam . :) you know you have a problem when you take the day off work to make sure you get the right wrist pins . lol . :D :)

That sounds like a better choice.

That sounds like a better choice.

I agree . :) the problem being is that JE markets these pistons as their "Extreme Duty" line of pistons specially designed for forced induction and nitrous applications . The problem being with a .150" wall wrist pin made from Low Carbon Case Hardened steel , they are far from being "Extreme Duty" . This may doop some people into thinking they are buying a turbo/nitrous piston set capable of supporting high HP numbers . The pistons are capable , the pins are not . always a good idea to do your homework and know exactly what you are getting vs what you need by talking and listening to the right people . :)

Yes speaking with a shop that builds large forced induction motors can open ones eyes to lots of short comings with off the shelf parts. Plus all too often people are looking at nothing but the price........ Not a way to start off a build trying to break 1000 hp. You gotta pay to play. I am not speaking about top dollar billet unobtainium stuff, just enough to truly achieve your goal and not leave you with a pile of broken parts that fit into a five gallon bucket.

I agree . :) the problem being is that JE markets these pistons as their "Extreme Duty" line of pistons specially designed for forced induction and nitrous applications . The problem being with a .150" wall wrist pin made from Low Carbon Case Hardened steel , they are far from being "Extreme Duty" . This may doop some people into thinking they are buying a turbo/nitrous piston set capable of supporting high HP numbers . The pistons are capable , the pins are not . always a good idea to do your homework and know exactly what you are getting vs what you need by talking and listening to the right people . :)

Quit beating your self up over it!! You could have my pistons,rods,pins, and rings for $1000 plus shipping.