Wouldn't it be cool to have FAST XFI wireless?

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Something to ponder with. Having the ecu connect to a wireless source so you could remote to the car while someone is driving it? Or while in the garage with your computer you are tuning with? It would eliminate the need of an additional computer on line with the ECU, to remote to the system.

Something to ponder with. Having the ecu connect to a wireless source so you could remote to the car while someone is driving it? Or while in the garage with your computer you are tuning with? It would eliminate the need of an additional computer on line with the ECU, to remote to the system.
Give it time. It won't be long before we can remote drive the cars as well.

There's no reason it's not possible. In a previous job I used encoders to run RS232 serial for Security Access Boxes over IP wirelessly. Plenty of straight non-IP wireless solutions are available - it'd just be a matter of trying a couple and seeing which one works the best with the ECU.

Example:
http://www.nordfield.com/wireless-serial-adapter

Did anyone figure out how to run XFI on a tablet, maybe with a Bluetooth USB? Wouldn't be "remoting in" but would be wireless.

There's no reason it's not possible. In a previous job I used encoders to run RS232 serial for Security Access Boxes over IP wirelessly. Plenty of straight non-IP wireless solutions are available - it'd just be a matter of trying a couple and seeing which one works the best with the ECU.

Example:
http://www.nordfield.com/wireless-serial-adapter
According to the link, these devices will work over a range of 1600 ft. This means, if made to work with XFI, someone could tune your car from another vehicle or from the pit or whatever. But I'm not sure how useful this is. The wire don't bother me much. We have internal data loggers to eliminate the laptop during a run. And you can't tune on the fly when you plan to be on the throttle for only a few seconds in a quarter mile race. I like tuning my car when I'm controlling the throttle. 24" of cable hanging out of my glove box seems like no big deal.

Does anyone see a benefit that I may be missing?

It's been done and was called the cable blaster. It didn't sell enough so production was halted. One local racer still uses his.

Scanmaster G for XFI/Classic can be used as a Bluetooth bridge.

Bob

In the past, with my old laptop, with a wire connected, I have had trouble with data streaming fast enough to be recorded on a data log. I would find freezes and skips in the data logging. Even when the recording time was set for just 10 seconds and only using 12 sensors / parameters. I don't see how doing this wireless would make it any better.

Of course I haven't had any of these problems recently. It was probably due to having other graphs and charts open in the background and using a laptop infected with diseases. But I believe reliability is better when it comes to my XFI communication. Nothing sucks more than hitting the throttle and finding out the run was wasted because you didn't get the info. This is probably my top priority whenever I'm in my Buick.

Give me a wire any day!

This would be awesome. Friend has MS3 thats wireless to his laptop and its so much easier to work with without the cable flopping and getting hung up on things

My point of all of this would be able to make track adjustments from sidelines, to car. I.E. have a tuner making tuning adjustments on the fly directly into the unit while you drive. I realize a power down needs to be done, it would make the process more efficient.

My point of all of this would be able to make track adjustments from sidelines, to car. I.E. have a tuner making tuning adjustments on the fly directly into the unit while you drive. I realize a power down needs to be done, it would make the process more efficient.

Bluetooth is spec'd for 33 feet minimum range. So the tuner does not need to be sitting in the vehicle. If you are talking long-distance stuff, thats a different sorta thing.

Bob

Bluetooth is spec'd for 33 feet minimum range. So the tuner does not need to be sitting in the vehicle. If you are talking long-distance stuff, thats a different sorta thing.

Bob
wireless, as in IP address type thing, not BT.

wireless, as in IP address type thing, not BT.
You could do it with a laptop in the car and use remote desktop connection. Have a truck with a ubiquity air max or something similar. 2nd laptop in the pits with a router and the ubiquity antenna. Not sure I understand the advantage or the point but its def something that could be done. I lived in a remote area where we would broadcast wifi point to point for miles.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk