Would I be crazy to do this???

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Frustrated with not being able to attend a lot of local cruises with my 87 GN due to cutoff dates I have been thinking about getting rid of the GN.

Since I have a loyalty to the Buick crowd and want to continue to be associated with it I have an idea for a hybrid.

A friend of a friend has a mini-tubbed mid 60's Nova for sale minus the motor and trans. It has been painted black and the owner doesn't have time to finish it and wants to unload it. I haven't seen it yet but it is about 4 miles from my house. Was thinking about transplanting a TR motor/trans into it. Anyone ever do this? I think there may be some issues with the steering and might have to go to a rack and pinion setup. Also the motor mounts would probably have to be fabricated.

Just thinking out loud here and of course the whole thing would hinge on whether I could get a decent price for my GN.

sounds good to me!

light car, great looking muscle car body, v6, what more could you want? i'd really like to see it done in a 72 chevelle or elcamino of the same year. but a nova, why not?

I have seen this done before.I think it would be cool to have a 66 nova with a balls out turbo 6 in it.

BuickGn Boosted - It would be cool - I'm looking for such a rolling chassis right now for that exact reason.

If it's a 66/67 and you decide not to do it. How about helping me out and let me have a go at it...

Thanks
Scott

A local guy has a Nova/GN hybrid. Very cool ! He used an aftermaket front subframe and modified it for the turbo 6.

IMO, it would be cool to have it w/ a 6 if you set it up as a sleeper. If not and it being tubbed, then everyone will expect it to run like it has a BBC on nitrous so you better go w/ a stage motor.

Sounds like a cool idea. I would love to see someone revive a 1970 Pontiac LeMans with a turbo 6 in it. Looking just like a stock LeMans with a nice turbo setup to make people think you have an SBC in it.

You could check with the 80-81 malibu guys who have done it- maybe alot of similarities between that and a nova. Personally i dont think id get rid of your gn since all the work you ve put ito it.

First off, putting a Turbo Regal drive train into any thing but a Turbo Regal is a waste of time and a stupid thing to do. Don't do it. ;)
That being said, do what ever you want. But, getting rid of your GN just because you can't get into some lame show that doesn't appreciate real cars, well, you might regret it.

Onto the conversion. I'm thinking out loud here. If you could find the motor mounts and perches/supports from a similar Buick car, you may be able to just bolt it in. The T6 isn't that big of a motor, so I wouldn't think that you would have steering issues. Go with a Casper's harness, and the wiring part would be a piece of cake.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Only way I could finance it unless you guys start buying a LOT more of my parts.:D

I am going to buy a bunch of stuff from you starting very soon.

A guy in our club has a Red '67 Skylark with a TR motor and trans. It looks cool and runs mid 10's (until he popped the motor in Bowling Green this year).

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Only way I could finance it unless you guys start buying a LOT more of my parts.:D

I know I'm planning on buying some more things from ya. I recently got your bigmouth cold air kit and I was pretty impressed with it.

Originally posted by wagon

Onto the conversion. I'm thinking out loud here. If you could find the motor mounts and perches/supports from a similar Buick car, you may be able to just bolt it in. The T6 isn't that big of a motor, so I wouldn't think that you would have steering issues. Go with a Casper's harness, and the wiring part would be a piece of cake.

Did Buick have a similar car like the Nova?? Don't think they did. That would be too easy.:D

I have a '63 myself, and have had that thought cross my mind a few times.

Done right, would be nice and VERY quick. 11's should be easy on mild motor.

Although buick motors right now are still kicking my arse.

2psi oil pressure at idle is ok right?

Mark, there is a Buick car that looks alot like a nova, I saw one at a custom auto shop a couple weeks ago, but it had no badges other than the 3 vender louver things old buicks used to come with...

Originally posted by TylerDurden
Mark, there is a Buick car that looks alot like a nova, I saw one at a custom auto shop a couple weeks ago, but it had no badges other than the 3 vender louver things old buicks used to come with...

That was probably a Buick Apollo?? I am talking about around the 66-7 years.

thats a great idea! our motora make excellent donors. how bout an older 60's skylark for a transplant? nice running 66 in the auto trader for 1900.00.