World Autism Awarness Day

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Today is world Autism Awareness Day.
It effects 1-110 children and 1-70 Boys.

I wrote the following for my son this morning:

He has a harder time communicating but has a lot to say
With constant effort he grows a little every day
He might make loud noises or cover his ears
With a heart of a champion he fights through his fears
Please avoid staring, be civil if you can
He is labeled Autistic but is just my little man

JW 4-2-11 Celebrating my son and acknowledging World Autism Awareness Day

To find out more about Autism please view the following links.
If you suspect someone in your family has it get them help
as soon as you can. There is no way to reverse it, but the
sooner they get help the more of their potential they can realize.

Autism Speaks, Home Page

United Nations Webcast - World Autism Awareness Day 2011 - Message by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

God bless,

Joshua

Hi,

The world is a small place.

My youngest son has autism, his name is Joshua also.

He is 14 now (and 6'5"), and is maturing well, has has worked hard to get where he is.

I'm always around if you have questions.

Regards,

Bob

Hi,

The world is a small place.

My youngest son has autism, his name is Joshua also.

He is 14 now (and 6'5"), and is maturing well, has has worked hard to get where he is.

I'm always around if you have questions.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for sharing Bob.
You must be so proud of Joshua.
I may call you for advice and not bring up Buicks once, imagine that...

Very well written my friend, truly from the heart!

I wish your son all the best as well as the rest of your family.:cool::smile:

Hats off to you. I have a counseling/ social work background/ education and have 26+ yrs experience with Public Health. Just did a training to nurses the other day on the M-CHAT screener.

My wife has devoted her life to helping kids with Autism (early intervention/ABA). She has spent 7 years in school and is currently working on her BCBA. She's sitting a few feet away from me at this very moment reading Autistic spectrum disorders (making sense of Autistic spectrum disorders by James Coplan). Your poem has touched both of us deeply, we just wanted to thank you and to let you know there are people who care deeply. Let me know if you ever need anything, Best to you and your family...Ed and Mima.

Very touching. The fact you took the time for your son to honor him with such a beautiful poem shows your love for him. What a father and an example for all of us.
Blessings. Chad

I have an autistic cousin. He is 18 years old and has never spoken a single word. He's 6'4" and about 300lbs. His dad left my aunt 15 years ago because he couldn't deal with it. Shawn, my cousin, easily over powers my aunt physically. She is a living saint. Shawn has two older sisters, both of which are normal (except that the younger of the two has a full ride in Med school.)