Working with Aluminum

Dan Thompson

I have a hard time keeping the files and grinders clean. They both seem go get filled with aluminum particles.

What should I do?

Dan--you should NEVER use a grinding wheel on aluminum, if you load them up enough, they can explode...Best way to "grind" aluminum is with a tabletop 3" belt sander.

Not sure what to do with the files, I have the same problem!
:)

If you are talking about a "rotary" file for a die grinder, run it a little slower AND use candle wax as a lubricant. I used to port a fair amount of aluminum heads and that is what worked for me, grind a canlde a little and then grind some aluminum. When the bit is hot, it will melt itself into the wax and it will prevent aluminum from sticking to it.

I use doublecut carbide burrs and axle grease. Periodically dip tool in a dollup of axle grease.

I was told to use tranny fluid as a lubricant if porting Al heads, intakes, etc.

Later,

Steve.

Kerosene works well as a lubricant/coolant on aluminum, and so do the citrus cleaners - I like the Orange Zep brand from Home Depot :). Good for drilling, milling, turning on a lathe, cutting with a carbide blade, or carving with a die grinder.

Tranny fluid and a double cut carbide cutter work well. The tranny fluid makes a mess though. I took a paint can lid and filled the outside with fluid then ran the cutter in the center to throw off the excess. It gets messy and hard to see what you've done if your port is coated with the fluid and chips that don't leave.

WD-40 sprayed on the file works ok. I'd use a SS brush to clean out the al. gummed up in the file. Be sure to brush in the direction of the file flutes.

If you are using a grinding wheel get a good quality wheel from United Abrasives (Saitech). They have ones specifically made for aluminum. I've never had one explode.:confused:

BoeLube (cetyl alcohol) works the best for keeping rotary files from clogging up. A scribe will get all the old aluminum out if you didn't use anything the first time around.

BTW, only been playing with aluminum for the last 12 years while working on aircraft.

yeah, right now I'm playing with sanding drums on an aluminum intake and a TB (knife edging the TB) and I've just been using them dry. My biggie issue with the drums is that after a while they tend to lose their media, it almost seems to be more aggressive then iron honestly. Oil's a good idea as it keeps the dust down too. Got a new 1/8th inch cheapie die grinder to work on the intake, the 1/4 inch just didn't have bits for it that were small enough.