Working on buying a 84' GN

EndGame

I'm new to the forum obviously, but just what to say hi. Also, I'm about to buy a 84' GN that's kinda rough but you gotta start somewhere right? Is there anything that is "need to know" about these cars? I'm going to be doing a full restoration of the body, and building the motor to somewhere around a streetable 500hp. I've been in the Army for 5 years, and now that I'm out I finally have the time, money, and space to build one! Thanks for any and all comments and info!

I'm new to the forum obviously, but just what to say hi. Also, I'm about to buy a 84' GN that's kinda rough but you gotta start somewhere right? Is there anything that is "need to know" about these cars? I'm going to be doing a full restoration of the body, and building the motor to somewhere around a streetable 500hp. I've been in the Army for 5 years, and now that I'm out I finally have the time, money, and space to build one! Thanks for any and all comments and info!

With a goal 0f 500 you really should forget about a hot air. Going to cost you min $8000 just on the motor and trans. Go find a cut-up 86/87 and do the repair. Money will be better spent. Brad

Isn't there intercooler conversion kits and such for the 84'? Money isn't a real issue, hell I just spent $4,000 on a rifle build I just did... I just plan on doing a complete restoration of the body/interior and then building one hell of a drivetrain. I know I probably could buy a nice complete car cheaper, but half the fun in it for me is fixing and building things.

I've been doing some web surfing and it looks like I'll be better of finding a 86'-87' drivetrain to achieve my goals...

Hey EndGame, where are you stationed? I ask because I see you list MI in your profile, but there aren't any major bases around those parts. Of course, you could be on recruiting duty (my condolences if you are...).

Brad is definitely steering you in the right direction. The HA cars just really aren't worth the $ it takes to make the kind of power you're looking for and it's fairly easy to do it with an IC'd car. My first TR (back in the mid 90's) was a really beautiful '85 GN, bought it from a fellow Marine when stationed at Lejeune. Lee Thompson helped me make it a pretty quick car (his headers/dp, TA-33, 42's, ported heads, 206 cam, etc...). Still, the limiting factors were the intake manifold and inability to push as much boost as the IC'd cars. There are ways now to assist, like alky injection, but you still have to deal with the intake.

Regarding the IC setup for these cars, I know one existed previously that really didn't have the same effect as the 86/87 setup (lots of long tubing...). If you're looking to drop some coin, knock yourself out. Just know that you could have spent it on something that will be worth more when you're finished and the results would have been better going the other route. Either way, welcome to the community.

Regards,
John

I'm out now... I got out in September. My last duty station was Ft. Drum, NY with the 10th Mountain. As far as the car I think I'm just going to swap in a 86'-87' drivetrain instead...

I guess my next question would be is if I could use the long block of the 84' and put the brains, intercooler, turbo, piping, etc. of a 86'-87' on it?

er
I'm out now... I got out in September. My last duty station was Ft. Drum, NY with the 10th Mountain. As far as the car I think I'm just going to swap in a 86'-87' drivetrain instead...

If the 84 you are looking has a solid body and interior consider it. Price should be low. Add at a min 12000 to the purchase price for a decent car performance wise. This means stripping the engine and going intercooled. Brad

The car is $1500. Needs a floor patch in two spots, but they're small. The doors are rusted, but it comes with two good ones. The rear driverside quarter needs replaced too. The interior is pretty good, but I figured I can't whine much for paying $1500. I just want to know if I can use the 84's block/heads with 86-87 components...

You could buy a decent 86/87 GN for $8-10k or a nice one for $15k, you'll have a lot more in the '84 you're looking at. The one variable is the paint/body in that you didn't say whether you were skilled enough to tackle that yourself. If not, that's an easy $10k+, given what you've said about the condition of the car. The other point of discussion is with dropping an IC'd motor in a HA car. Yes, you may raise the value of the car, but it will still be less valuable than an 86/87. Not a big deal if you plan on keeping the car forever, but in the real world, that rarely (if ever) happens. Most get tired/bored with a car and look to move on.

Not trying to discourage you, just sharing what is a well worn path. Take the coin and go buy a nice, higher mileage 86/87, mod it and drive it.

Regards,
John

I can do all the body work and paint myself. Like I stated before I want this car, because it does need work and that's what I enjoy doing. I'm really looking to build a pro-touring style ride out of it by totally upgrading the suspension, brakes, rear-end, etc. Only thing I'm really needing help with is the engine details. I just want to build a street-able 500hp motor. I appreciate all the comments and info I've been receiving! I know I have a backasswards way of doing things. I'm not really concerned about what it will be worth, and cost isn't a issue. For what I'm going to be doing originality won't matter, but don't get me wrong I'm not going to cut it up or stick ridiculously huge wheels on it. I want to keep the body completely stock. The only thing I may do to change the interior is seats, safety harness, and a 6 point cage.

Well, if that's the plan, then you may have found your car. Check out the LS swap section on this board as well. Given that you plan on changing quite a few things, you could drop in a turbo'd 5.3L and really wake the car up!

Regards,
John

That would be a nasty swap... but I did want to keep some of the essence of the GN with the turbo'd V6.

No I was a 13F, Forward Observer... bastard child of the field artillery... scouts hated us, infantry hated us, gun bunny's hated us... lol

I guess my next question would be is if I could use the long block of the 84' and put the brains, intercooler, turbo, piping, etc. of a 86'-87' on it?

This conversion has been done many times using the 84' block and heads, and they do not even have to be removed from your GN. :)

In my experience the "hard" part is changing the engine wire harness as you need to remove the pass fender for access. The Hydraboost will also needed to be piped into the PS hoses.

I usually run the 87' turbo oil drain hose to the oil pan rather than drill and tap the block in the car.

Parts can be purchased of the For Sale forum, or contact G-Body Parts, or other board vendors for a package deal.

If you have any questions, I will be glad to help as well as other here will also.

This is a great way to learn a LOT about your car!

are you building a race or street car? seems like you both from this car . the best way is 87-86 setup depends on how dedicated you are to this setup and how much time / money you want to spend. the transmissions do fail easily with high hp conditions and the suspension,driveshaft and rear end will need upgrades to handle that hp too. some guys on here have gotten into the 12s with a good stock block and ported heads. best bet on heads would be champion ported they are cnc done you will spend way too much time doing them your self for the cost and if you don't know about porting these heads you will go into a water jacket and heads will be junk

buy this car and put a gn engine in it fiberglass hood,ac delete 6 point cage moser rear end weld pro star wheels has a 455 stage 1 in it now with 400 trans also have extra gn seats 7000

Attachments

• 84 ttype 004.jpg
    84 ttype 004.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 129
iam also trying to build an 84, how much hp can the stock heads handle? just want to beat that new mustang 5.0 that passes me everyday

Change over to 87 exhaust, 3000 convertor,ta33 turbo, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, get a chip burned,cold air intake ,throttle body bored out.downpipe. Tune maybe champion heads and intake and cam. Can do a lot with 84 if you look