Won't run, should I buy??

ttypeturbo

Hi gang,

This is the first time that I have logged in since 2004!! The reason for my visit is a car that seems cheap to me has become available for sale, let me know what you guys think. The car is an 86 T-type, black w/maroon interior, ps, pb, pw, pdl, concert stereo, power moon roof, power seat, cruise, etc. etc. the car is loaded, second owner and the car has 120k. The car is absolutely bone stock and numbers matching but has been sitting for 7 years and the paint is shot but the body is dent/rust free with good interior. He parked the car because he was driving and it just suddenly quit, seemingly no fuel pressure or a no spark condition. He is at 3k firm for the car and won't budge as he has owned it since the late 80's and there are no other turbo cars around here that cheap since I'm just looking for a beater to putt around in. So here are my two questions:

1. Cut and dry: Is it worth 3K?

2. If there is fuel pressure, what could cause a no run condition in the ignition?

Thanks guys and have a great day! :cool:

will deliver 4 gas $

Hi gang,

This is the first time that I have logged in since 2004!! The reason for my visit is a car that seems cheap to me has become available for sale, let me know what you guys think. The car is an 86 T-type, black w/maroon interior, ps, pb, pw, pdl, concert stereo, power moon roof, power seat, cruise, etc. etc. the car is loaded, second owner and the car has 120k. The car is absolutely bone stock and numbers matching but has been sitting for 7 years and the paint is shot but the body is dent/rust free with good interior. He parked the car because he was driving and it just suddenly quit, seemingly no fuel pressure or a no spark condition. He is at 3k firm for the car and won't budge as he has owned it since the late 80's and there are no other turbo cars around here that cheap since I'm just looking for a beater to putt around in. So here are my two questions:

2. If there is fuel pressure, what could cause a no run condition in the ignition?

look in cars 4 sale bone stock gn

If it was running and suddenly quit that rules out the cam sensor. It will run without it but not start.
Providing the ignition switch and fuses, and wiring are good and evertything is getting power that should. I'd guess Crank sensor, Module/Coil pack, or ECM/chip. nothing too expensive there.

could be some other stuff, but that's where I'd start.

As far as value, I thnk it's worth it if you have the time to play with it. Could get expensive to pay someone to do it for you. If the body is really rust free I'd pick it up.

Take a battery with you.
If it turns over, but does not start or keep running - that would make me feel more comfortable that his story is true.

Actually the good part is that I've know the car for a long time and also that the guy is honest. He's been doing my home HVAC work for years and I don't believe that he would lie. The oil is to the full point and is relatively clean for sitting so long. I could work on the car myself as I've owned 2 before this one but it has been a while, I need a refresher course, haha! He did say that at one point the tranny was rebuilt and he made sure that the original was reinstalled.

Could be as simple as a blown fuse or crank sensor gone south.. With no rust and the LC2 power plant it seems like a good price.. Being bone stock at 120K its probably not a devastating fix (prob. more aggrevating though). Its a risk but seems low to me. Just my .02..

Mike Banas
87GN

thats how i baught mine ecm pin bad got it running then found the ign. module was bad no spark on 2 cyl. i think its a good deal as long as it has compression

If it's been sitting for 7 yrs, I'd not try to start it until/unless the fuel system has been cleaned.

Can you go into detail on the quit running aspect? It could also mean the timing chain is busted if there is no signal from the cam sensor. I dont understand how somebody could let a car sit that long if it was something cheap and simple to fix. If it was me I'd get the car running before I laid any money down. Do you have spare parts like coil packs and sensors that you could throw on it just to make sure it's electrical in nature. I've had cars sit that long and the fuel pump has locked up on them. Thats an easy fix. Just let the pump sit in a can of SeaFoam so the gunk disolves. I also soak the injectors that way too. What mods are on it?

Check the oil pressure sender as well. Previous owner added a remote filter and didn't tidy up the stock sensor well. Eventually, it dropped onto the x-member and shorted, popping a fuse.

The car died in the street and would crank but not start.

First thing to check is the FUSES!!!!!!!!!!

there are several that if blown car will not start

next check coil pack ing. moduel with a known good one

thanks JD

$3000 is a good price... if it is rustfree, has good compression and if you are ready to get your hands dirty & drop a few bucks in getting it running.... go for it!!!

I had a no spark condition... it was the crank sensor.

good luck

dave

I bought mine non-running and it sat for 5+ years. I had fuel pressure but no spark, which turned out to be the crank sensor. My car needed the oil pump to be primed again also.

Thank you so much, everyone. I knew that I could get good advice here. I did buy the car last night, it is still sitting on the trailer as the weather busted loose just as I got home and it's raining cats and dogs. I noticed a few references to blown fuses, would these be in the fuse block or are we talking about some of the slow blow type under the hood? Is the crank sensor a major pain to replace if that's what it turns out to be? I'm going to drain the tank this weekend, pull/replace the air filter and pull all of the plugs to lube the cylinders before I do anything. I did notice a small wire (orange maybe?) going to the battery with a fuseable link that looks a little burnt. All of the bumper fillers are shot but I've got my eye on some fiberglass units on Ebay. I'll try to snap some pics today if weather permits, yeeha!!

If That Orange Wire Is Burnt That Power To The Ecm May Be A Shorted Ecm Good Luck We Are Here To Help So Just Ask

Good Score!!!!

I got my Hybrid in a similar situation... Sold it cheap because he couldn't get it running, $1300 for the car and it just needed the up pipe put back on:D :D

Hope yours is easy.

Hi gang,

i picked up mines ('87 T)last year hard lower knock, needs paint, small dents for more then 3K
so if i new of that car and it was with in 200 miles from my home IT would have been at home the same day. Start or not start.
Good luck
David

The rain finally broke enough to snap a pic....

pic.php

Good Score!!!!

I got my Hybrid in a similar situation... Sold it cheap because he couldn't get it running, $1300 for the car and it just needed the up pipe put back on:D :D

Hope yours is easy.

You can't be serious. :eek: