Won't crank - security wiring help

MQTGN

All,

I'm putting my car together - new engine/trans and rolling chassis (new to me). When I went to start, no crank. Battery was Good, headlights did not dim in start position, verified correct wiring, and that the starter and PN switch were working. I then checked for voltage on the purple wire at the starter solenoid and noticed I had no voltage here during crank. I chased this wire back through the bulkhead to what looks like a non-stock relay that has been installed by a previous owner.

I'm assuming the car has the factory security system as the "security" light flashes when I open the doors indicating the system is not armed. I also looked up under the dash and noted a purple/white wire coming from a location up above the steering column (see picture below). Now..back to the relay I found. I noticed that this purple/white wire had been spiced into with the relay placed in series. From the purple/white wire that originates above the steering column it is cut and and spliced with a smaller gauge wire. The smaller gauge wire runs directly into terminal 86 on the relay. At the relay, terminal 86 is jumpered to terminal 30 (see picture of relay). Terminal 87 the continues out to splice back Into the larger (stock) gauge purple/white wire which looks as if it continues on to the fuse block.

I chased the power back to the relay with a test light and found If I jumper terminal 86 to 87 the car cranks!!

I'm assuming this relay is not stock and added by one of the previous owners? An ideas on what this might have been added for? Accordingly, how should I wire it so that it does not need to be jumpered? Should I just remove it and wire direct?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
Added wire to ground off the 85 terminal to complete the trigger for the relay. Car cranks now. Not sure if I should leave the relay or just wire direct.

If the lite is working, and the system is wired thru an "add on" relay, it's not necessarily a factory system. The installer could have put the lite into the stock location. The factory system is wired thru the headlites, a large relay box, a pair of in line fuses. [Regular headlites and Twilite Sentinel are different.]
These items should be visible with the glove box out.
The system is shown in the factory wiring schematics. Took me a while to find it, when we were having discussions as to what the fuese were for..Seems some folks w/ the OEM system, didn't have the fuses.:confused:
If you need the page no's, I can look them up.