wiring the fuel pump

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Greetings all. I've posted a few questions concerning the fuel system I'm currently piecing together, and here's another. I need to wire the pump/gas level circuit, and I don't know how. I have A Regal dash swap coming up, complete with the dash and engine harnesses, but I didn't think to get the pump harness. I asked John at Caspers if it was available, the short answer was sort of. The weatherpack connecter for the pump is available, but the connector that connects to the fuseblock is not something they carry. The tail light harness is already in place, and I plan to just run a seperate circuit instead of trying to integrate it with that. How does it all work? Key on engages a relay, which engages the pump? So I need a hot lead for the relay, another hot lead for the pump, a lead for fuel level, and a ground?

find somebody parting out a turbo car! and just get the harness out of it. Much easier. If not, maybe a summit 30amp fuel pump harness would work? I just ordered one for the a1000, but I dont see why it would not work for a stock pump? But the fuel level is a whole other story. I just know how to plug the factory harness in, and it magically works.........:biggrin:

find somebody parting out a turbo car! and just get the harness out of it. Much easier. If not, maybe a summit 30amp fuel pump harness would work? I just ordered one for the a1000, but I dont see why it would not work for a stock pump? But the fuel level is a whole other story. I just know how to plug the factory harness in, and it magically works.........:biggrin:

I don't know if the stock harness will work or not. Doesn't it run in the rear lighting harness? The one that goes through the trunk? Mine runs along the drivers frame rail. I'm thinking I'll get Caspers to make a 3 wire set up that will follow the hot wire kit. Hell, I don't even know where it connects at the relay ang gauge yet.

the stock harness plugs into the side of the fuse panel. it is a long black plug on the very left of the panel. yes it does run the lights, but they all have the same light configuration for the most part. I used the gn light sockets and all!! I just cut out a little bumper support area to clear the plugs, but you can splice in the original elky light fictures on the stock harness..... caspers is nice, but will cost 3 times as much!!!