Wires??

ralphsmith_jr

Its a six
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I could not find a place in the electronics forum.

The previous owner removed my ECM Coolant Temperature Sensor and Oil Pressure Sending Unit and replaced these with crappy mechanical gauges. I am purchasing the original sensors to put back in their place. The factory harness clips have been cut and only the wires are left so I guess I am going to have to rig something up. Can anyone tell me which one of these wires go where?

Attachments

• DSCN8126.jpg
    DSCN8126.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN8127.jpg
    DSCN8127.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN8131.jpg
    DSCN8131.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 146
Why are you getting rid of gauges. Is keep fact sensors and mechanical gauges. I run both and gives me extra sense of security.. for oil pressure all you have to do is "t" it off . Same w temp guage

Mainly because they are cheap Autozone ones. I just want the factory gauges in for the time being until I learn alittle more about the car.

Mainly because they are cheap Autozone ones. I just want the factory gauges in for the time being until I learn alittle more about the car.

Factory gauges???? I'd rather keep whatever you have and replace them one at a time as money allows than not have any at all. By the time your temp or oil light comes on (if they actually work at all) the damage will most likely already be done. Gauge with a idiot light as an attention getter is the best way to go. Not that hard to do both.

The three wire is for the low pressure switch, but as said above, keep the mech. gauges and t the oil pressure.. I don't trust the idiot lights either. Black wire would lead to the sensor for the temp light on the pass front there.

Ok if I dont install the factory sensors than what is the scanmaster reading for coolant? Right now the tempature sensor is connected to a machincal unit and that one doesnt work (all the time), however the scanmaster coolant levels do give me a reading?? Is this because the computer is using something else for the temp readings and the sensor that is pluged in that is used for the mechanical unit is for the dummy light on the dash? Does that make sence?

Ok if I dont install the factory sensors than what is the scanmaster reading for coolant?

The computer uses a different sensor. There are 3 coolant sensors in the manifold...1) idiot light 2) high speed fan 3) coolant temperature. When a temp gauge is installed it is put in place of the idiot light sensor/switch.

Thanks Mike! Ok I guess I am going to find some pod pictures to see what looks the best, and find out how many gauges I should run. I wish the gnx dash wasnt so expensive $$$

The computer uses a different sensor. There are 3 coolant sensors in the manifold...1) idiot light 2) high speed fan 3) coolant temperature. When a temp gauge is installed it is put in place of the idiot light sensor/switch.
The one you want to replace (or t off of) is this one. It is on the passenger side front of the intake. The one that the ECM reads is the one with two wires towards the middle front of the intake.

Duralast/Temperature Switch (TU64) | Temperature Switch | 1987 Buick Regal 6 Cylinders 7 3.8L SFI OHV Turbo | AutoZone.com

Tr custom parts sells one to put below radio bezel and above center console.. I just used autoguage 3 pack drilled under radio came out w tabs/brackets bent to face up. Looks really clean cept for wires u see frm the side. I'll post pic maybe tomm night..