Winter Engine Storage

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I have a new engine (almost complete) on the stand in my garage. The engine has not been run in. I doubt that I will fire it before winter sets in. I'll need to store it in the garage. My garage is insulated and can be heated (at expense by space heaters). I will do the following before it gets cold;
1) prime the engine again
2) fog the bores and turn the crank for each bore
3) stuff WD40 laden rags in the lower intake
4) stuff WD40 laden shop towels in the exhaust ports
5) tape the intake and exhaust ports shut but vent them
6) bag the engine

Does this seem like the best way to protect it given that I'm stuck in the garage?

Wayne,

DON'T use rags!!! They will attract and hold moisture when the cold engine sweats on the first warm day. Mix some oil in with WD40 and spray from a pump bottle. Double bag the entire assembly and use your shop vac to suck the air out of the bags. Have any desiccant bags? put them in with the engine too.

-Or- Just get busy and install the engine and fire it up!!:D Its time!

Wayne,

DON'T use rags!!! They will attract and hold moisture when the cold engine sweats on the first warm day. Mix some oil in with WD40 and spray from a pump bottle. Double bag the entire assembly and use your shop vac to suck the air out of the bags. Have any desiccant bags? put them in with the engine too.

-Or- Just get busy and install the engine and fire it up!!:D Its time!
Dave I have to be clear about "the rags". I should have said "shop towels" (the blue ones from Lowes) instead of rags. I'm also having my rad re-cored with a new engine oil cooler. Vince Janis is doing a trans for me (I was friends with Rich Cook but his wife is ill). I don't know a local guy unless you do. New fuel lines and pump (Racetronix 8an-6an with about 1 psi drop across the system. I'm finishing up the work on the new TA headers. Hartline flashed my XFI with two starters (1 pump gas, 1 race gas). If you know the where abouts of a Hemco please let me know. I'll explain later. Hey thanks again for the storage pointers.
Wayne

Lps3 is great stuff but if left to dry its a pain to get cleaned off once you get back to it. I use lps 2 as it's not so bad to deal with later. But we don't have real bad winters here in Texas. good luck with it. Jon

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Spray some WD40 in all cylinders, back of the rockers put 1/2lb of white rice in a womans panty hose and lay it on top of the intake then trash bag the hole engine. The rice will help with moisture, change the rice bag every six weeks. just remember when spring comes around dont eat the rice..And dont wear the panty hose either.;)