Window Regulator Adjustment and Shimming

lucky14

Ok so I got my GN back from paint and body on frame resto. Sweet! :biggrin:

I have been slowly putting her back together and got all the way to everything is done less the window regulators, door panels, weatherstripping... Sweeeet x2 :biggrin::cool:

Well I accepted a another job- sweet

Sold my house in 15 days in order to move- Sweet

Then got laid off from the current job NOT SWEET :(:confused::eek:

So long story now told, I have to move my GN ASAP to PA from VA.

Well I got the glass back together and the shims and adjusters on the regulator in with new motors too. I labeled everything on the doors prior to removal and reinstalled in the same order. The windows were loose and rattled before I removed them.

However, now paying closer attention upon reinstall, I think someone was in the doors before and had the shims/adjusters/stops in the wrong spots. So now the windows work but are not horribly out of wack, but they are anything to write home about. There are some small gaps that won't be able to seal out all of the wind/rain.

I was wondering if anyone has GOOD pictures of the where each shim and adjuster go and any tips on which shims/adjusters have the best effect for each movement... it will really help... G body Haynes manual really never address the adjusters. This would all help before I tear back in to her.

The car is going to make the trip as is and will be locked up in storage once I get up to PA until I find a new place to call home. Normally being a tech. I would pride myself in trying to figure out each window by myself, but I need some expert guidance and certainly don't have the time right now to fool with it. So any help would be key.

There really isnt a "One size fits all" answer for your question, everyones car is different. For example, I purchased a book from Kirbans and their window rattle elimination kit. I spent enough time, and I know what I'm doing as far as working on cars ( I spend everyday working in a bodyshop ) and my windows still arent perfect, there are just too many Variables that affect the alignment, let alone hw old this stuff is.. Biggest problem I've noticed is the center pivot "rivot" on the regulator arms, becomes worn and loose, making everything very sloppy.

Spend some time on it, see what makes it better and or worse..

Ya I know I can get it to the best it can be with time... after all it is my profession....

Just want to know where each guide/shim/adjuster is supposed to be via a picture....

sorry man, I didn't read your sig, seen your a body guy also (ASE Cert like me too)

heres what I found looking through my stuff, not sure what shims your talking about, Hope this helps, if not, oh well I tried.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 256