Window nets

Grumpy

Thread killer
Ok the cage is just about done in Melissa's car .. need a window net .. anyone with info on the good and bads :confused: :cool:

Make sure the clip (seat belt looking thing) is welded above the bar so Melissa doesn't bust her head open. The female seat belt receiver is welded to the halo.

P5210057-1.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Window net

Hey Dan

I would look at some other options beside the seat belt clip. I would consider making it a removable bar that the net can be slid back out of the way top and bottom. My reason for this is if the car were ever to catch fire (GOD FORBID) she will never get that clip released with gloves on. When my buddy Ray Royer's car caught fire a few years ago he was badly burnt on his hands he had to spend weeks in the hospital. He had his 3 layer suit on but did NOT have his gloves on (it was just a test and tune run) when I talked with him in the hospital he said he was glad he hadn't had them on he couldn't see how to release the clip he had to feel it. He felt it could have cost him his life if he had to try and release it with gloves on. I think Cal has his done like this now maybe he will chime in. I don't have pictures but I will look around. You can give me a call if you like I can expand. Best of luck to you. Dave

Grumpy I'm sure it's to late but here is my set up. I was also concerned about an emergency exit. so this is my set up. also only 2 allen head bolts hold it in so it is very easy to remove.

Steve T.

& one showing it in place. there is one bolt on a heim joint at the top that allows it to swing down & the bottom slides into place & held in with a 1/4" allen head bolt.

I used the seat belt style and have no issues mashing the button with gloves on. I see what Dave is talking about though. To legally pass the liscense test your supposed to operate everything in the car blind folded. I have tried it and mounted the release in a manner I can easily operate it.

As far as window nets go. The only way to do it right is take measurements and send them to your favorite manufacturer for a custom sized net. This keeps from having the net flop around and it looks much better.

I notice in the pics that TurboIndian posted his net and mounts were all outside the cage. Has the track officals ever given you a hard time about this?The reason i ask is a friend of mine did this and thay made him change it before they would cert the car.

$$ well spent...

I notice in the pics that TurboIndian posted his net and mounts were all outside the cage. Has the track officals ever given you a hard time about this?The reason i ask is a friend of mine did this and thay made him change it before they would cert the car.

When I built the "yaller car", I spent LOTS of $ on fone calls to the tech folks @NHRA.. That was 1 item they made "abundantly clear".
Mine was a spring loaded slider rod, with a receiver tube/hinge at the main hoop. The bottom of the net was hinged on the rear portion of the diagonal door brace, and had a belt attachment on the ft, again fastened to the diagonal.
I did it this way, so one could just grab the top bar, at most any place, and slide it back, against the spring, and then let go. There was a tab on the shaft, to grip for release, but missing it, still allowed either you, or the safety guys, to get the net down in a BFH...:eek:
All the hinges were made of tabs... NO bolts in the roll tubes. The top/ft support point was a piece of tube, sunk flush into the downleg, and tiged.
Whatever way you do it, be sure the net can be removed. They are a date coded safety item, needing replacement at some point.
Attention to the rules,details, and patience pays dividends.. Was good enuf for a "best engineered" award at a Div race, and a cover/story in GMHT.. Ahh, the "good old dayz"..:D :D

they have never said anything to me about it but I also have not had the car certified as of yet.

Here is a picture of my set up. Both upper and lower rods are hollow CM steel. The lower attaches to tabs welded to the cage. The lower rod pivots on a rod end threaded into the rod on one end. The other end is tethered to the door bar with a small cable.

The upper bar slides out of the net and has the seat belt type closure on the forward position.

Attachments

• IM001828.JPG
    IM001828.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 319
This is mine. I just made a cardboard template sent it to SIMPSON and they made the net. $65-$70 I had it in 1 week.

DSC01490.jpg

I didn't know that you could get a custom net made!!

If RJS can make a custom net (and I don't know why not), I will redo my lower net mount. I can drive over to RJS on my lunch hour.........nice to have a great supplier close by.

I need a new net anyway and need to re-cert the chassis this year.

I didn't know that you could get a custom net made!!

If RJS can make a custom net (and I don't know why not), I will redo my lower net mount. I can drive over to RJS on my lunch hour.........nice to have a great supplier close by.

I need a new net anyway and need to re-cert the chassis this year.

Dave, RJS can make a net any size you want. They made mine.

Where are you going to re-cert your chassis? I need to get mine done.

Scott

Scott,

I'll get the chassis recertified this spring. Stanton usually has a weekend (Sat and Sunday) setup. You have to make an appointment. They get alot of cars to certify. I'll bet Norwalk will also have a certification session too.

I'll let you know when I find out.

I think this info would be a good thing to post in this forum, aye?

Dave

The net is "mandatory" in any car requiring a cage.
If the arm restraints are of the correct length,[IE; used as intended, in an open car], one may not be able to reach to release the net latch....

Its under General Regulation 6:3. "Window net must be securely attached inside the rollcage.
Steve,
Mine is mounted like yours to the outside of the tube. By the book this is a no no.Its been like that for years, never been given a hard time.

Dave,
Ive also heard that some tracks are interpreting the cable mount differently than others. Some do not want that cable in there at all. Again mine is just like yours and Ive never been given a hard time.