Will This Vacuum Unit Work.

griffgoody

Before I purchase. I need to know if a Vacuum Brake Unit off a 87 Monte Carlo SS will work on my 86 GN without any problems. Tks John

Do you remember the part #. And was it for a GN or T.

I don't remember the part #, i would have to dig through all my receipts to find it, and it's to early for me to do that.

But the car i told them it was for was a Chevy 1987 Monte Carlo SS

Hey Guys. Just asking one more time about this unit for the Monte Carlo SS Brake setup. When I go on the adv auto web site to get discount on item. And you plug in the part # 50-1243. It states it will not work on a 86-87 GN.

it says that because the 86 and 87 GN didn't have a factory installed vacuum booster..
if you want one for a Monte SS, then look up a Monte SS... but the Monte SS guys are upgrading to the bigger Caprice 11" dual diaphragm booster (they call it a 12" booster) that bolts right in, so why would you bother with the parts that they are throwing away?

Hey Guys. Just asking one more time about this unit for the Monte Carlo SS Brake setup. When I go on the adv auto web site to get discount on item. And you plug in the part # 50-1243. It states it will not work on a 86-87 GN.

Coming up like that because in their system it's not a direct replacement for a powermaster unit for the 86-87 GN. They don't know you are converting over to vacuum brakes,but if it's for a 87 Monte Carlo SS it should work thats the application i bought mine for. Be sure it has the dual diaphragm brake booster,easy way to tell is it will be about 10'' in dia. and 6'' thick compared to the single diaphragm booster that is approx. 12'' in dia. and thinner,hope that makes sense.

It states that because our cars came with a powermaster brake system.

I just looked that part # 50-1243 up on advance auto parts web site and that is the correct one to use.

One thing about the conversion when i did mine. I found out that the brakes didn't work properly until i bought the vacuum block with the extra port for the brake booster hose to connect to,to replace the original plastic vacuum block on top of the throttle body.

I tried splicing into the vacuum hose going to the pcv valve that was recommended on gnttype.org but like i said it didn't work well for me.

I just looked that part # 50-1243 up on advance auto parts web site and that is the correct one to use.

One thing about the conversion when i did mine. I found out that the brakes didn't work properly until i bought the vacuum block with the extra port for the brake booster hose to connect to,to replace the original plastic vacuum block on top of the throttle body.

I tried splicing into the vacuum hose going to the pcv valve that was recommended on gnttype.org but like i said it didn't work well for me.
I did make sure they ordered the one with the double diaphragm. And I already have tha vacuum block. Ordered from Gbody. Tks to all.

it says that because the 86 and 87 GN didn't have a factory installed vacuum booster..
if you want one for a Monte SS, then look up a Monte SS... but the Monte SS guys are upgrading to the bigger Caprice 11" dual diaphragm booster (they call it a 12" booster) that bolts right in, so why would you bother with the parts that they are throwing away?

Do you have any pics of the Caprice unit?