Will an 85-87 EFI El Camino gas tank work with GN fuel pump??

ksmmspt

Ok. If anyone has an Elky hybrid, please let me know what gas tank you are using. I've got an 85 carbed elky that will one day get the swap (87 drivetrain). I was thinking about getting a new elky EFI 22 gal tank and I figured and hoped this will work. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks

Hmmmmm... Maybe?

Can't tell you if it'll work in your carbed Elmo, but I recently observed a fuel pump change in a '87 TBI V-6. This is what I noticed.

The TBI fuel pump is externally indistinguishable from a TR fuel pump.
The part of the fuel pump hanger/sending unit that's in the tank appears similar to a TR part.
The part above the tank is very different as it has a flared fitting instead of a straight end for a hose w/clamp.
The El Camino tank places the sending unit flange at an angle and the lines are bent upward instead of straight.

HTH,

Hmmm...It appears to be very similar to the TR. I will have the TR drivetrain in it so it looks like it will match. I may be able to use the TR sending unit or a TBI unit along with a high output pump. I'm sure I'll have to have the fuel lines from the donor GN shortened to match? Thanks Tom for the input. I'm still open to any and all suggestions.

good luck

I've been running the carb tank in the elky for about a year now. You have to keep alot of gas in it since it is not baffled. As far as the pump goes, the whole sending unit is internally the same, but like the other member said, the ring & seal and piping above the tank is different. I actually use the gn sending unit in mine, but dont recommend it. If you buy a new tank, where are you getting it from???? they dont make em, as far as I know. I bought one, and had to return it since it was not baffled. They looked it up and noticed the same part number for the fuel injected elky tank was the same for the carb. tank! :eek: and they are all made by the same companys. You'll have to find a sending unit and tank from a 86-87 4.3 efi elky, which is very hard to find, and as for the fuel lines, you cant take out the gn lines and shorten them, thats redicilous. You'll need to run a new line, and you can use the 2 existing lines for the return and the vent. My problem now is fuel! I have too much fuel pressure that wont adjust at idle, and drops at wot. something is going on with my wiring to the pump, I guess I should have had somebody do it :D good luck.

TURBOELKY said:
I've been running the carb tank in the elky for about a year now. You have to keep alot of gas in it since it is not baffled. As far as the pump goes, the whole sending unit is internally the same, but like the other member said, the ring & seal and piping above the tank is different. I actually use the gn sending unit in mine, but dont recommend it. If you buy a new tank, where are you getting it from???? they dont make em, as far as I know. I bought one, and had to return it since it was not baffled. They looked it up and noticed the same part number for the fuel injected elky tank was the same for the carb. tank! :eek: and they are all made by the same companys. You'll have to find a sending unit and tank from a 86-87 4.3 efi elky, which is very hard to find, and as for the fuel lines, you cant take out the gn lines and shorten them, thats redicilous. You'll need to run a new line, and you can use the 2 existing lines for the return and the vent. My problem now is fuel! I have too much fuel pressure that wont adjust at idle, and drops at wot. something is going on with my wiring to the pump, I guess I should have had somebody do it :D good luck.

I guess everyone must seem ridiculous to you if they don't know what they are talking about! If you had noticed my previous post, I did have a question mark after the statement about the shortening of the lines. I encourage others with experience to please chime in with any help they can offer so that I can get this project off the ground. I'm definitely no mechanic and I don't have a clue what a baffle is....but I didn't think my statement was ridiculous just because it was incorrect. That said, it looks like if I can get a tank with a baffle, I can get the fuel system underway. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Wow

ksmmspt said:
I guess everyone must seem ridiculous to you if they don't know what they are talking about! If you had noticed my previous post, I did have a question mark after the statement about the shortening of the lines. I encourage others with experience to please chime in with any help they can offer so that I can get this project off the ground. I'm definitely no mechanic and I don't have a clue what a baffle is....but I didn't think my statement was ridiculous just because it was incorrect. That said, it looks like if I can get a tank with a baffle, I can get the fuel system underway. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
sounds like I offended you. I did'nt mean your redicilous, just removing lines from one car to put on another would be the hard way to go about it, does that sound better? :confused: a baffle in the tank is a plastic resivoir that maintains a constant level of fuel even around corners so the electronic pump does'nt pick up air. The tanks are hard to find, but if you find somebody who sells them, let me know because I need one too ;) I'm willing to lend any other advice you need on the swap, most members here in southern cali have seen mine, not the nicest, but not shabby either :D

No problem. I've got e-mails in to 2 different companies that list different part #s for EFI tanks vs. carbed tanks. I've asked specifically about the presence of a baffle and I'll let you know if I find a source for these tanks. I was also looking at the possibility of mounting an external pump. Have you heard of anyone doing this?

well,

in theory it should be possible? I was thinking of just baffling my tank my self if I cant find one. I've been waiting for a 4.3 efi tank for a while, even the two people locally who only restore elco's dont have any,and when they do they want way too much (250-350) for a used tank is crazy, but with the sending unit w/ out pump would be fair. If you really want to do it right, I was thinking of mounting a fuel cell eventually, but find out if you can get a baffled tank stock unit first, let me know what you find out. later.

Ok, Here is one that has worked for several other Elky owners:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/Chevrolet/ElCamino/GM515B/303316

Now, a new sending unit seems to be very expensive and is still available from gm. I'm still searching for some aftermarket sources.

On the above tank, they do not come with a vent tube from the tank to the filler neck and you would need to install one to allow for ease when filling. Check out this link:

http://elcaminocentral.com/ftopict-13731.html

These guys are very helpful as well. I'll let you know if I find another tank and sending unit for a better deal.

Scott