wierd question?

cowboydan

if an engine was blown due to overheating, what are the chances that the tranny/ converter are still good? there is no extra tranny cooler. imo i need a new tranny, but others have said that i may have a good unit still. i'm looking into a 200r4 tranny anyway, but i'm trying to get this beast on the road with minimal effort to start. what i really don't want is to install my freshly machined turbo engine in front of a dud tranny...lol that would suck. i'm off for the next week so my plan is to remove the dud engine and tranny and have a look at the situation... but it's outside and, it just snowed.... alot.

Sorry to hear it Dan. Unless you rebuild it do you know the condition of the tranny right now? Was it making noise or slipping at all? If not them do a fresh filter and fluid to see what kind of condition it's in. It would also be a good time to get a higher stall converter in it if you think it's worth it.:)

On my blazer the engine went and the trans was still ok. then again the trans was only 2 or 3 years old. dumb question but do you know why it over heated? i had a fricking car over heat and it was the cat. didnt know the cat could cause over heating but it did.

it's hard to explain. i know more than i should about this car. like, knowing it overheated on it's way to banff. i know it only made it to canmore. i know it overheated because a winter grill cover was left on the grill in the middle of summer. i towed it home when it was given to me with my brothers old starcraft. because the engine sounds like a jackhammer, i have never test drove it. only because of the highway distance the old buick made, i'm not that confident that the tranny didn't suffer the same damage. from calgary to canmore, the trip is mostly up hill. i don't know of too many ways to test a tranny other than to pay some shop to test it. but the price of a used 200r4 may be the same. i do plan on cruizing lots so the overdrive is what i really want. as for rebuilding it.... there is no way that it's got overdrive. an external od is around a grand. the most i can think of is a cross member and maybe a joint. for a 200r4, the mod list is minimal. i might even be able to move the cross member. not quite sure. i was planning a 68 430 swap up untill this 3.8 fell into my lap. use of a 430 requires..... lets just say, more than stock g-body stuff...lol. the good news is that the turbo was inspected by alimo... spelling. they were very happy with the age and play the shaft had. they told me not to waste my money. the guys hadn't seen pre nash turbo for a while...lol.

i'd like to ask who makes a good oem cam that may not brake the bank. i would entertane a used one if it were in better shap than mine. but i think new with a new press is a sure thing.

that might make it a bit more fun. any idea how the shipping and other related charges would work? i have little experience with ebay shopping...lol. but with prices like that....it would be foolish to bash it eh? thanks Charlie

If you're not a member join and then at the bottom of the page you will see where it says "ask a question". Click on it and go from there.:)