wide band o2 sensor?

jtopdawg

what is the difference between a wide band o2 and a regular one? do the wide band stand up better to race fuel? where can you get one? what is envolved in running a wide band o2 sensor? :confused:

wb o2 is more accurate.Also more expensive.$250(bottom of the line wb o2) vs $20(never priced a regular o2) for them. Do a search on wb o2.I beleive alot of the guys here are running Denso leadproof sensor. Also do a search on o2 sensor.HTH

BTW I run an Innovative LM 1 wb o2.:cool:

Originally posted by jtopdawg
what is the difference between a wide band o2 and a regular one? do the wide band stand up better to race fuel? where can you get one? what is envolved in running a wide band o2 sensor? :confused:

A regular O2 sensor is called a switching sensor. All it does is read richer or leaner the Stoich, 14.7:1. So a reading of 820 millivolts can just as well be 12.5:1, or 11.5:1.

A WB is a linear sensor, meaning it can read from 18:1 to 10:1 AFRs accurately, and in a repeatiable manner.

Quality dictates price for the WB, thou there are alot of reasonably priced ones nowadays.

Figure about $400, and having a bung welded into your exhaust, and a few hours figuring out what it really means.

Denso is the best way to go for street use. Leaded gas works fine for a LONG time with them, and they are only $16 or so each.

why is the denso priced so low compared to the quotes above? will it work with the me r?

ME-R is an open loop system, which does not reference the O2. Of course you can still read it with a scantool, you are still using the original ECM with the O2 input. But ME-R does not use it. I still paid attention to O2, but am going to use a wideband to tune when I get my car back together. It will be nice to see an actual A/R to get the car nailed with no guesswork.

why is the denso priced so low compared to the quotes above? will it work with the me r?

Because it's not a WB.
The ME-R is open loop, and doesn't need an O2 sensor. You can install a Narrow Band O2, and data log that thru the normal scanners. But, that agian is subject to the pitfalls of any other NB.

so without it you are still really guessing on the a/r? is the a/r what you are tuning for basically or really watching the knock and egt temps?

so without it you are still really guessing on the a/r? is the a/r what you are tuning for basically or really watching the knock and egt temps?

You watch for best performance, and monitor what your changing, and how the engine reacts.

Not always does enrichening the fuel mean the car is actually running richer, you can run out of fuel pump, or a hundred other items. And with a WB you know to a fairly close level of precision what your engine likes.

The more tools you have to analyse what your doing, and what the engine likes, the easier it is to duplicate, ot adjust those settings.

WB, EGT, Knock sensor, plug readings, are all elements of gathering tuning data.