Why not run pure alcohol with top lube?

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about running pure methanol in my fuel tank with a top lube ,,in place of E85.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about running pure methanol in my fuel tank with a top lube ,,in place of E85.

If you are interested in creating a lot of maint work.
So much so, when running my alky FED, that I had to drop the alky, run the engine on gas for a couple minutes, to keep the system in decent op condition.
That stuff is hard on pumps, hoses, eats the alum fittings, makes your kids born naked, etc...

there are people on the e85 forum that have permitted stills ( federally) that distill and use their own ethanol as a race fuel some leave the small amount of water in that distillation doesnt seperate , others remove it with salt or zeolite stone

there is also e98 ( 98%ethanol) available by drum from race fuel suppliers.

Ive ran a mix of methanol / E85 blend in the tank, with great results. I also tested the fuel and it came back over E99.

here's the thread,

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks for posting

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

there are people on the e85 forum that have permitted stills ( federally) that distill and use their own ethanol as a race fuel some leave the small amount of water in that distillation doesnt seperate , others remove it with salt or zeolite stone

there is also e98 ( 98%ethanol) available by drum from race fuel suppliers.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I was running high boost at the time, 28-31 psi, thats all my THDP and stock wg allowed me to run. No knock with the E85, i was somewhere in the 23/21 timing area at those boost levels and i just started to add timing, i got up to about 25/25 still no knock and i just stopped testing. The alcohol fuel test showed it had a higher alcohol % level in the fuel but methanol is really hard on a stock style fuel setup like i had so i told myself it would be best if i only spiked the ethanol while at the track and honestly its not even necessary the E85 has such great anti detonation that i wouldn't bother spiking the fuel unless your under the 85% when you test. I tested maybe 10 batches of E85 at different times of the year and never had a batch under 85% true content.

I have been running E85 a very long time, it started way before my buick day's and when really no one knew about it. I would run E85 with Benol 2stroke oil because we thought it was to dry of a fuel.. LOL i would foul plugs every 3 days.. It was actually HARD to sell my turbo rx7 at the time because they said i was an idiot for running E85, now it seems like the drug of choice.

My first E85 setups were on Rotaries i attached the pics below, at that time i was hanging out with some Mazda guys that had the fastest IRS suspension Mazda in the world Time Machines Racing, they were always above the competition because of their ability to think out of the box. Trying different fuels and different setups, bunch of guys with no money beating everyone. They introduced it to me and we tested and tested. Love those guys true innovators when it comes down to racing on a budget and being on top. They don't have the copy combo disease.

Attachments

• 03191443-1.jpeg
    03191443-1.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 11071500-1.jpeg
    11071500-1.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 137
Methanol requires 50% more flow than gasoline (BIG pump and lines and injectors required) and is really corrosive! Don't try this at home!!
Conrad