Why its important to "Spring Clean"...w/ pics...

veedubcrazy

I had read the article on gnttype website and cleaning the intercooler caught my eye. It never occurred to me to do such a thing. I had been accumulating oil on top of the IC but never could figure out where it was coming from. Fresh from an engine clean, I let the engine run to burn off the water. Revved it a couple of times and I saw this coming from the connecting hose on the pipe.

Picture264.jpg

Found where the leak was coming from...:smile:

Removal of the IC revealed a thick coating of road grime, oil/grease, hair and a few big flakes of paint (which fell off before I could take a pic of). Even had small rocks wedged in between the fins.

Here is the front and back of the stock IC.

Picture265.jpg

Picture271.jpg

Removal and cleaning revealed a lot. The liquid poured and sloshed around inside the IC to clean it came out black at least three times before it started to clear up. But, the turbo outlet was clean...:smile:

So, here is a testament to cleaning the IC yearly. Do it...:)

I have drilled a very small pin hole in the bottom of the passenger side intercooler tank so the excess oil will be forced out by itself. :D

ok...drilling a hole in an intercooler thus creating a boost leak...that was just a joke, right?

Why would I joke about a thing like that?:D I'll bet the PCV valve leaks more boost in the crankcase than a .010 hole in the intercooler!:eek: