Why doesnt everyone just swap to Hydroboost?????

jdpolzin

May sound like a dumb question but I really dont understand why anyone would use any brake set up besides the HydroBoost on their TR's. Just to make a point, I searched down a parts list:

Hydroboost unit from Oreillys rebuilt: $139.99
Master Cylinder from Oreilly's rebuilt: $15.99
Cost of have the high pressure hoses made: $22 locally Maybe cheaper on the board for a used set
Cost of 30" of 3/8 hose: $5.99
Brake pedal: Same as PowerMaster

The cost of doing this is cheap. It's the best system for our cars in my opinion and I really dont see why it is not the first mod people do to their cars. The Powermasters are known to cause problems. The Vacuum set ups do the trick but dont compare to the stopping power of the HydroBoost and cost about the same to do the swap.

I just thought I would put this out there so people dont think it's hard to get this system in their cars.

May sound like a dumb question but I really dont understand why anyone would use any brake set up besides the HydroBoost on their TR's. Just to make a point, I searched down a parts list:

Cost of have the high pressure hoses made: $22 locally Maybe cheaper on the board for a used set

The cost of doing this is cheap. It's the best system for our cars in my opinion and I really dont see why it is not the first mod people do to their cars. The Powermasters are known to cause problems. The Vacuum set ups do the trick but dont compare to the stopping power of the HydroBoost and cost about the same to do the swap.

I just thought I would put this out there so people dont think it's hard to get this system in their cars.

I've wondered myself why soooooo many people go vacuum.... to me vacuum brakes don't feel right - after using the PowerMaster or HydroBoost... and they dont have NEARLY as much line pressure or stopping power....imho

I am not "in love" with my vac setup. Lets see some pictures Jeremy of your setup. Aaron, do you have hydroboost setup?

I am not "in love" with my vac setup. Lets see some pictures Jeremy of your setup. Aaron, do you have hydroboost setup?

Nope - still have the PowerMaster.... but if/when it fails- i am definitely goin hydroboost if i cannot repair my PowerMaster.

I'm interested in piecing together a hydroboost setup. Could you guys possibly be so kind as to give some links and parts numbers for these items? I would really appreciate it.

Royal-T-Ltd said:
Nope - still have the PowerMaster.... but if/when it fails- i am definitely goin hydroboost if i cannot repair my PowerMaster.

+2
I was lucky enough to rebuild my PowerMaster when the parts were cheap.
I would hate to do it these days.
By the prices that were posted above, hydroboost seems like it's getting cheaper by the month!

Hydroboost was original equipment on 84 & 85. I somewhat consider it to be "stock/original" on 86 & 87.

I think GM was experimenting with (at that time) new idea electric brakes & decided it to be a disaster & refused to put it in the 89 TA. I had too many issues with vacuum & wonder how GM got the vacuum to function on the TA.

The only other option I would consider would be manual brakes.

Hey Jeremy, Those link dont work very good, they lead to 2 pages of brake related items.
Jeff

Yeah I just seen that. The Hydroboost unit and the master is on that page though. It wont let me post a direct link.

The hydroboost came on 83-85 cars and any diesel car. If you get lucky enough to find one in a junk yard you should be able to take most of the parts off of it and do the conversion.

I'm really thinking about going to Hydroboost on the El Camino. I've got three Powermaster units, though.

Has anyone done this on our cars and posted a DIY guide? I'm real interested on switching from vacuum

hydro boost

I have it on my car , and i love it......i can hold 20# or more of boost with no problem. i'm going to running the 7.0 heads up classes this year, i will surprize them guy with the transbrakes.

So is the general consensus just to grab the Hydroboost unit and master cylinder from an 84/85 TR at your local parts store? Will it fit without modification? I know some people were talking about scooping them from a late 80s or early 90s Astrovan, but I thought there were fitment/adjustment issues needed. I'd like something that just bolts on.

the 86-87 power steering pump does not have the third port for the hydro boost and the 83-85 cars used the famous rear wheel drive big pump that has the third port for the hydroboost. this big pump is way to big for the 86-87 power steering position on the main bracket... if there is another pump to use then tell us??????

the 86-87 power steering pump does not have the third port for the hydro boost

Just Tee into the return line like the OP did.
jdpolzin said:
I did forget to add a "T" fitting for the low pressure line but that cant be anymore than $3.

I had a 83 turbo Riviera with the HB and this is exactly the way GM did it. It even had the 86-87 TR style remote PS reservior with the old V-belt Big style PS pump.