Why doesn't anyone like to run Carfax?

GrnNatlFan

I just took a look at the section for stolen vehicles/vin checks and there are a lot of requests for Carfax's from board members. I just posted one for 1G4GJ1173HP451662. There doesn't seem to be any response from any of the board members that might have a Carfax account to help out other board members. Guess I could subscribe to Carfax myself but I only want to check on one vehicle and don't really want to spend $20.00 to do so. Guess it could go both ways on whether I should subscribe or if someone with an existing account could help others out? There was someone on here a month or so back with an account that would run one for a $2.00 donation. That doesn't seem to be such a bad deal. Up for debate.

I think some boards even delete posts for carfax requests...It too bad really. It should be a like a 5 dollar one time fee. Especially because carfax is not an absolute thing, many accidents, etc go unreported or some states don't report as well I have heard. But I suppose if it saves you from buying a flood recovery or mileage fraud car it is worth every penny of the 20 bucks!

I had an account and offered it to the board.

I must have run 100 of those damned things in a month. When my month was up, I asked the guys to Paypal me a dollar donation and I would get a new subscription.

Nobody ponied up the cash, so I didn't get one. Seems like everyone wants something when it's free, but no matter how little of their own cash they have to spend they aren't interested.

this is what Carfax expects of a buyer/user of their service

I agree to pay a one-time charge of $24.99 (USD), plus applicable sales tax, according to my card issuer agreement. This 30 day Unlimited CARFAX Reports Plan is valid for 30 days from the date the first report is run, and is intended for my personal use only. Commercial use, resale and redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited and may lead to deactivation of my account and the imposition of additional charges for CARFAX Reports. I also understand that I am limited to one (1) purchase of this 30 day Unlimited CARFAX Reports Plan per household, each 6-month period. I agree that my CARFAX Report purchase shall be governed by all the Terms and Conditions of use of the CARFAX Web Site.

If you purchased the Unlimited Account you qualify for a refund if:

> You have not, nor has any member of your household, received a refund from CARFAX within the last 12 months.

> Your claim is made before running your second CARFAX Report.

> Your refund is requested within 30 days of purchase.

What I would suggest is gather up as many VIN's as you can to offset the cost of the one time cost of $24.99. See, doing these for free goes against Carfax's agreement. Remember, Carfax is a TOOL in buying a car and is NOT absolute.

Ok I am not making a lifelong prodject out of this but if someone needs one done for a possible stolen vehicle I will do it free for them . however I am not going to do every car you go look at if you are trying to buy something.

You can just PM me the vin. I am on at least a few times a week.

Jason:cool:

I have had a request up there for about 2 weeks now, and I have noticed the same thing. As far as paypal is concerned, not everybody feels safe and secure with it and not everybody is signed up for it. I am, unfortunately, one of the old timers, not necessarily board membership wise, but age wise, and I have heard some problems with paypal/penpal, call it what you will. I have heard complaints on the boards from both sellers and buyers, which does concern me. If you had done a carfax for me, and asked for a $ 2 donation, I would ahve been more than happy to give you $ 2, but it would have been a check, or $ 2 cash in the mail. Who in the hell wants to cash a check for $ 2, and cash in the mail can be risky, even $ 2. Not everybody that looks at the envelope can read what denomination is on the bill, and even if you put it inside an envelope, a lot of people can tell theres a piece of paper inside, but don't know how much. If you want to run that carfax request for me, and it is a car that I am looking at with the possibility of purchasing it, I will be more than happy to send you $ 2, cash or check, your choice. It is reallty unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a better and/or more satisfactory means of paying someone small amounts. Eew, sorry for the long post, too.

I have done like 5 or 6 for people that emailed me... even saw a request after I got my account and emailed it to him.

I figure it's like giving back to the TR community. I have learned so much from everyone, I take any chance I can to give back :)

I did a whole lot of them for the month i had it, but like stated its not the end all be all. My good friends truck had been totaled about a year ago and showed up clean as a whistle. Out of about 50 cars i did on here i think one showed up dirty