Why does it seem like my converter is locking and unlocking?

larry33kc

The converter that I have in my sig seems like it is locking and und unlocking alot while alot while cruising at highway speeds and it is annoying. Is there something wrong, something out of adjustment?
Any help would be great.
TIA

Might be the switch on the brake pedal needs adjustment. I think it is the upper switch. I think I have the same problem. Yesterday I pulled up on the pedal with my foot on the highway and it seemed to stop it. Now I just need to climb under the dash sometime.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Sometimes the TCC Solenoid malfunctions... its in the pan.... the 4 wire weatherpack connector plugs into it from the outside.

aaron

The only time mine does that is when it's colder than 35° outside. I don't have my cooler plumbed through the radiator, so it takes longer to get hot. This time of year, that's prolly not your issue...

The only time mine does that is when it's colder than 35° outside. I don't have my cooler plumbed through the radiator, so it takes longer to get hot. This time of year, that's prolly not your issue...

I had something like that happen in another GM car I had. ...and like yours,it happened when it was cold out.

As it turns out,the ECM would go Open Loop when the coolant temperature got below 157'F. When it went Open Loop,the TCC was commanded to unlock.

But when it unlocked,the temp would go up just enough for it to go Closed Loop again. It was a vicious cycle.

That was driving me nuts!

The problem was the 160'F thermostat was too cold.

Possibly our cars are set lower,otherwise many people wouldn't be running 160's. (like I am)

What is your coolant temp when it does this?

TV cable has nothing to do with the converter lock up. The TCC solenoid usually acts up after the tranny is warmed up....unplug the connector on the side of the trans and take it for a spin, see if it goes away, if so then pull the pan and replace the solenoid...you can pick one up at most parts stores for about 25 bucks...Bud Smith

I had something like that happen in another GM car I had. ...and like yours,it happened when it was cold out.

As it turns out,the ECM would go Open Loop when the coolant temperature got below 157'F. When it went Open Loop,the TCC was commanded to unlock.

But when it unlocked,the temp would go up just enough for it to go Closed Loop again. It was a vicious cycle.

Possibly our cars are set lower,otherwise many people wouldn't be running 160's. (like I am)

Had the same thing happen on a 91 grand prix, thermostat failed open and didnt bother to change it. Took a couple weeks to realize that it was overcooling and doing the same thing you described.

I don't think it is a coolant issue because I seem to have been running a little warm, but I will pay a little more attention to next time I drive it.

TV cable has nothing to do with the converter lock up. The TCC solenoid usually acts up after the tranny is warmed up....unplug the connector on the side of the trans and take it for a spin, see if it goes away, if so then pull the pan and replace the solenoid...you can pick one up at most parts stores for about 25 bucks...Bud Smith
I will try this and see what it does.

I've got a 160° in there and great cooling with an '85 Corvette radiator. It was cold outside enough that it prolly dipping below the ECM's threshold...