Why do fuel cells come with 2 outlet ports?

fullahotair

Just curious if there was a basis for the fuel cells typically having two -8 outlets instead of one -10 or -12 outlet? Any reason not to drill one of them out and just run a single suction line to pump?

Thanks
Nate

I do not have a cell in my vette but when I installed my sump I put in 2 -10 fittings this is for running two pumps if needed.....on my application one pump for the engine and the second pump for the NOS side....plus the return

When u go around a corner fuel might slush to one side and uncover the sump? Just a guess don't hold me to it. LOL

Well I spoke to RCI tech, and they said the reason for 2 ports is that a some people run two pumps (obvious reason - lol), thus needing the two ports. Those who only run 1 pump, will then often run two lines into a wye to provide the flow they need. So they are kinda addressing two crowds with one setup. RCI did say they will modify one of their cells to however you want it. In my case I'll have them install a -12 right in the center of the sump in lieu of buying several additional fittings and a wye to bring two -8 fittings together before the pre-filter

Nate

Well I spoke to RCI tech, and they said the reason for 2 ports is that a some people run two pumps (obvious reason - lol), thus needing the two ports. Those who only run 1 pump, will then often run two lines into a wye to provide the flow they need. So they are kinda addressing two crowds with one setup. RCI did say they will modify one of their cells to however you want it. In my case I'll have them install a -12 right in the center of the sump in lieu of buying several additional fittings and a wye to bring two -8 fittings together before the pre-filter

Nate

"wye"?

edit: never mind... that's a way of saying "Y" with a couple of extra letters..

Just something to think about,

If you are looking at a larger fuel cell for street driving, consider aluminum since it will keep its shape and look more appeasing. Plastic cells have a tendency to buckle and warp. If you are using this for EFI application with return line, I run the return line through the top bulkhead and attach a hard aluminum line on the inside to direct fuel to the bottom of the cell. If it has foam and never been used or exposed to fuel, you can heat the aluminum pipe and push it into the foam to bore a hole to the bottom. The aluminum line keeps the fuel from erroding the foam. I then add another roll-over vent/bulkhead on the other side of the cell to the bottom of the car.
Allan G.

Good info Allan, and I agree.. Aluminum is much nicer. I made riser's so I didn't have to cut up the trunk & gave it a clean look from behind. It's my chevelle, but you get the idea.

DCP_3206.JPGback-drv.jpg

Great info guys thanks.

Turbobitt - how did you go about adding a tube to the bulk head fitting?

Nate

Great info guys thanks.

Turbobitt - how did you go about adding a tube to the bulk head fitting?

Nate
The bulkhead fitting has a -8 on both ends. To add a piece of aluminum 1/2" fuel line tubing is easy, just flare and use the appropriate -8 tube end and your done.
Allan G.

The bulkhead fitting has a -8 on both ends. To add a piece of aluminum 1/2" fuel line tubing is easy, just flare and use the appropriate -8 tube end and your done.
Allan G.
Gotchya....For some reason I was thinking the other end of the bulk head fitting didn't have a connection provision...

Nate

Gotchya....For some reason I was thinking the other end of the bulk head fitting didn't have a connection provision...

Nate
Sometimes they are cut and don't have the provision but could be replaced with a normal bulkhead.
Allan G.