why buy american? GM doesn't even buy american

TURBOTIMMER

Went to my local Buick dealer the other day to get "GM" balljoints for my GN, and a MAF sensor for my mom's 97 Riv (check engine light was on and it was inspection time). The parts guy brings out the box, and surprise! The Geniune GM box is stamped "made in Indonesia and/or Republic of China. I pulled it out to see if it even looked close to my original, and no surprise, it was totally different and no zerk fitting.
I didn't even think to look at the maf sensor for the riv. Turns out, both the original and the replacement were identical, made in Japan.
Funny thing is, this is the first time in a long time I've been to the dealer for anything. So to you guys that say "Japanese cars suck," and "buy american," at least I know where my Genuine Honda parts for my 142k mile Civic came from. Flame suit ON.:biggrin:

Not to flame you dude, but think for a second. What kind of world would it be if we did not do business with other countries? The U.S would not be able to cut off all outside trade and still function as it does now. If they can profit more for the company by selling you the part they did versus the American made part, which method will keeep their doors open longer?

There was a time many years ago when buying American meant buying something built to last. Then somewhere along the way it was figured that more money could be had if you made it cheaper by outsourcing it to another country...which meant not only did you save money up front but it also meant you got to go buy a new one every 5 years. However some people still believe in buying only American.

Unfortunately most anything made these days is in either China or Mexico. "Made In The USA" these days means about as much as a mechanic getting his ASE certification.

Where does the profit go? That is what you have to look at. Imports BLOW!:mad:

:( No I would rather them be American, but what is anymore? So you might as well but from an American owned company so the profit at least stays here.