Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

I love this build. I am gearing up to build my own version of this build. I have a low mile engine and a complete 96 comaro engine with wiring harness, transmission, computer and every thing I thought I would use from that car. I have a 2000 non drive by wire computer and most of the engine harness. I am getting a little cold feet about my project. My question is how hard is it going to be tuning a computer and modify the harness to work in a non computer controlled car? I am going to run the engine with out a turbo for a while, until I can round up enough parts for that faze. I have no experience tuning this kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated.

There's also a great thread series 2 l67 grand national. With good info also. I know the 98 Camaro/firebird 3800 is the last cable pcm. In 99 they changed to the wire. If your going to run the Camaro trans bare minimum you will need a hp tuner and laptop. You can get that all through intense racing with a tune if you like. There's not that many tables you have to mess with. I've been messing with it for a year you'll just need to maf tune pcm to fatten air fuel ratio.

I got a fully machined 3800 series II block. It's lined honed, decked, new cam bearings and bored .20 over and I got another block coming with all the internals, crank, cam, rods, etc. So I'm one step closer. Still need lots more but getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like great progress you're making. Which cam are you going with in yours?

Sounds like great progress you're making. Which cam are you going with in yours?
Not sure. I still need a car to put it into. Hopefully within the next year or two I can find a decent roller and get started. I will be a gbody, not necessarily a T-Type or GN, but hopefully.

Last edited:
It might 4 years before I have everything I need. Right now, I have a machined blocked ready to go and I also has a SC 3800 II donor motor, which probably has a good block, but I'm going to use want ever parts I can transfer over. For one the crank. I will probably get forged rods and pistons. I thinking about trying to get a 1989 Turbo Trans Am roller to put the motor and trans and everything else I need to get it up and running.
I don't why I'm so interested in building a turbo car with 3800 Series II block.

A Turbo Trans Am would be a cool ride. I like the 3800 engine since they can take a lot of hp on stock components and are so cheap. I know what you mean about the time it takes gathering up parts.

There's also a great thread series 2 l67 grand national. With good info also. I know the 98 Camaro/firebird 3800 is the last cable pcm. In 99 they changed to the wire. If your going to run the Camaro trans bare minimum you will need a hp tuner and laptop. You can get that all through intense racing with a tune if you like. There's not that many tables you have to mess with. I've been messing with it for a year you'll just need to maf tune pcm to fatten air fuel ratio.

They stopped using a real throttle cable on those engines in 99? Did the L67 retain them past 98? When I was in the W body scene I've never seen a drive by wire car. (drive by wire sucks too)

Yes the F body's were all wire by 99. Yes the l67 were still cable . The main interest in the fbody pcm is the ability to control the 3800 & run the 4l60e trans .

Yes the F body's were all wire by 99. Yes the l67 were still cable . The main interest in the fbody pcm is the ability to control the 3800 & run the 4l60e trans .
What are the aftermakert EMC/PCMs? EFI Holly is one, are there any others?

Holley dominator is the one I'm looking at. There is a guy on the Holley board with a Holley efi set up that's working on making it work on a 3800. But the efi doesn't have transmission capability . You would have to run a separate controller. Just like a xfi or bs3.
I really like the dominator. It's expensive . But would love to give it a shot.

Could you guys give some more info on the water pump setup you're using. I see one is mechanical and the other is electric. Any close-up pictures of the mods done to the timing cover? Thanks!

I can take a pic for you. I went the mechanical waterpump route and it worked out great but I had to make custom spacers for the waterpump, crank pulley and a idler. Dan Jost went with that electric pump and that pulley set up might be abit easier to get together.

I can take a pic for you. I went the mechanical waterpump route and it worked out great but I had to make custom spacers for the waterpump, crank pulley and a idler. Dan Jost went with that electric pump and that pulley set up might be abit easier to get together.

Thanks, some pics would be great and all the info you have about the spacers you used. I appreciate your help!:)

Thanks, some pics would be great and all the info you have about the spacers you used. I appreciate your help!:)

I believe all Brian and My pictures are already on here. Just go through the thread and you will find them. I don't believe he wanted to share his spacer/pulley info but I have mine posted on here already, I put the Miezer electric pump on mine to simplify the setup a bit.

What are the aftermakert EMC/PCMs? EFI Holly is one, are there any others?

I have been using the MS3/X and MS3-Pro systems, they are hands down the best system you can get for the money. It is the same system I have for my 3800/4L80E. FAST and BS3 are pretty old school and I would not recommend them with better new options out there. We have the Holley Dominator on my brother's Turbo 370 LS/4L80E and its also a great system which I would also recommend if you wanted to spend quite a bit more money for the DBW function and having Trans control in the same unit instead of another box. They both have their pros/cons so you'd have to educate yourself on them both and decide which option is for you.

For me the MS3-Pro is the best fit since I made a system that fits in the stock ECU enclosure and I can mount the tiny trans controller box right next to the transmission under the car and just run the 2 CAN Network wires to the main ECU. This avoids trying to find a spot to stuff the Dominator since its a very large ECU which I'm not sure where you would put it in a GN.

,Dan

I believe all Brian and My pictures are already on here. Just go through the thread and you will find them. I don't believe he wanted to share his spacer/pulley info but I have mine posted on here already, I put the Miezer electric pump on mine to simplify the setup a bit.

Thanks, Dan. I saw both of your pictures in this thread but couldn't make out the details of what was done to the timing cover. It looks like you have a fitting attached on the driver's side of the timing cover on yours and Brian has one on the passenger side of the cover. Do you have any close-up pics of the welding done to your timing cover? The electric water pump is cool but a bit pricey for me at the moment.

I have been using the MS3/X and MS3-Pro systems, they are hands down the best system you can get for the money. It is the same system I have for my 3800/4L80E. FAST and BS3 are pretty old school and I would not recommend them with better new options out there. We have the Holley Dominator on my brother's Turbo 370 LS/4L80E and its also a great system which I would also recommend if you wanted to spend quite a bit more money for the DBW function and having Trans control in the same unit instead of another box. They both have their pros/cons so you'd have to educate yourself on them both and decide which option is for you.

For me the MS3-Pro is the best fit since I made a system that fits in the stock ECU enclosure and I can mount the tiny trans controller box right next to the transmission under the car and just run the 2 CAN Network wires to the main ECU. This avoids trying to find a spot to stuff the Dominator since its a very large ECU which I'm not sure where you would put it in a GN.

,Dan
Thanks for the information. Having the CAN bus is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should be by the car for a few pics tomorrow. Its been so unbeastly hot Ive had no chance to work on the car.

Looks like my 3800 might be out for a hair longer, Ive decided to upgrade to a Holley dominator EFI. Speed density here I come. Cann't wait !