Who will win: '87 GN vs. '02 Z28

TommyV8

My dad has an '87 Grand National and he wants to race me on the dragstrip. He has an adjustable wastegate (runs 20-22 psi), a Walbro fuel pump, conical K&N filter, and BFG G-Force T/A drag radials. He hasn't run the car yet, but my best is 13.38 @ 105 on a 2.13 60 ft (crappy street tires). He says he'll probably get me down low (especially the 60 ft) but I might take him up high. I don't really know what TRs run stock or with with his mods, but he took me out in his car on the highway the other day and MAN is it running strong! It feels stronger than my car. What do you guys think, will I at least look respectable against him? He says a mechanic friend of his told him he should run about 12.6, which would anihilate me. :( This may happen soon. Any thoughts?

If it's his first time at the track you may win. If he has track experience and the car is tuned, a mid 12 on drag radials is not unreasonable at sea level.

If his GN is in good tune he could definitely run a low 13/high 12 at 20-22lbs boost on a stock turbo. I'll assume he's running some race gas or something to get the high boost. If his GN is in great tune and he has a good launch he could hit mid to low 12's at that boost level.

There's too many variables without knowing exactly what has been done to the car, but if he's running that boost in good tune with good gas, you'll need a good run vs a poor run from him to be at the same level. I turned a 13.3 last month in 93 degree weather, car hot as heck, spinning for about 20ft at only 19lbs boost with a stock turbo. In good weather with a good launch I turned a 12.5 with 20.5lbs boost on Nitto drag radials. The BFG's should hook better than the Nittos though.

Find out more stuff about the GN and post it. I'd say you have your work cut out for you, but if he hasn't raced it before and it isn't in best race tune, you could get lucky. Good luck!

The last time I was out in it was July 4th and it was hot as hell out. I saw the boost gauge fly past 20, probably to 22. Like I said, it was running as strong as I've ever seen so it must be in good tune; my g/f was impressed/scared and she drives an LS1 too, faster than mine! He also has a big traction advantage over me with the new drag radials, they are really soft. My Goodyear RSAs with 44,000 miles on them can't hook, not even on the street. He doen't have the track experience I have though. The only mods I know about are the ones I listed at the top. Well, I guess there's only one way to find out who'll win.;) Thanks guys! :)

P.S. I don't know if he'll be running anything higher than 93 octane, that's what he uses on the street.

20 lbs of boost on 93 octane is not good! I'd back down to 17lbs or so before some headgaskets start to blow. You need some sort of scan tool or knock gauge before you start playing with the boost (unless you are putting in lots of race gas or using alchy). Can't just turn up the boost without adding more octane. Be careful.

Unless you mod your car a little more and put a tire on it, you might be losing to the Buick. LS1s are fast but never underestimate the power of boost.....

Originally posted by murphster
20 lbs of boost on 93 octane is not good! I'd back down to 17lbs or so before some headgaskets start to blow. You need some sort of scan tool or knock gauge before you start playing with the boost (unless you are putting in lots of race gas or using alchy). Can't just turn up the boost without adding more octane. Be careful.
He does have a knock sensor, but I'll warn him anyway about the low octane, thanks.

Originally posted by NJVetteGuy
Unless you mod your car a little more and put a tire on it, you might be losing to the Buick. LS1s are fast but never underestimate the power of boost.....
I know I definitely need drag radials, the 60 ft is my car's weak spot. I just don't have the few hundered bucks right now to get 'em. As far as other mods, I'm not really sure what to do yet.
If he beats me (I think he will) I'm totally OK with that, no shame in losing to another GM muscle car. I just hope I can look respectable. I still haven't lived down my g/f beating me.:eek:

Race him on HWY K so I can come watch. Should be a good race. I had an ls1 car and have a TR now. My buick had the same mods as your dad's when I got it and the power was comparable.

Originally posted by daviss
Race him on HWY K so I can come watch. Should be a good race. I had an ls1 car and have a TR now. My buick had the same mods as your dad's when I got it and the power was comparable.
Sorry Daviss, no street racing here. It will be at Gateway International on a Tuesday for the Street Car Shoot-Out, don't know when though. When we are going to go I'll post it for ya in the Midwest section. You ever go to Gateway?

What times are the races at Gateway? I have an 86 GN that is getting a major overhaul right now. I would like to see someone get to have fun with a TR while I am patiently waiting.

Yeah, I don't go as often as I would like but I've been a couple times with the car. I go more often without the car. I'm usually helping friends with their cars. Mine's kind of in a funk right now but should be back to normal soon. Not in too much of a hurry until the Summer's over. I'll be back out in late September. Right now the TR has been relegated to Sunday afternoon grocery getter and I drive it when I go play golf.

Street tire test and tune (now the Southside Speed Shop Street Car Shootout) is on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 10:00. Gates open at 5:00. Bring your AAA card and it's only $10 (regular is $15). Can't beat that! I don't know when I'll be going back though, Daviss has the right idea in waiting for September.
Heat is bad. :( I'll probably go back sooner though and I'll try to get the old man to race me. I'll post it in here when we go, I'd like to see some more TR's out there. I've even heard the announcer lament on the lack of them, I guess there used to be more.

UPDATE

We finally went head to head yesterday and I beat him but he's never raced it and didn't know how to launch, so I'm not gonna count it; he got tubo-lag-induced 2.5-2.6 60 fts. He was just using one foot instead of brake torquing it to build boost. By the time he figured out what he was doing wrong the staging lanes were hella crowded and he had to leave. :( Hopefully soon we'll go again, for real this time.:)

That's what I was thinking. I guess he just pressed lightly on the pedal like he was pulling away from a stop sign or something. Oh well, I guess he just needs practice.

you remember the times when you hit the end?

even with his terrible start probably mid 14s?

He went 14.9 and 14.7. Trap speed was 94 both times. He should trap higher than that too, I think he's not flooring it.

Originally posted by TommyV8
He went 14.9 and 14.7. Trap speed was 94 both times. He should trap higher than that too, I think he's not flooring it.

ummmmm yeah a bone stock factory 87 GN could run 13.9's to 14.1's all day long when they first came out at 98 - 100 mph...something is not right at all...i was running 12.20's at 112mph with pretty much stock everything back in the day...a slightly modded GN will kill a stock LS1

12.20s basically stock!

share the info...

what did you have done...

slicks, chip, DP, cold air, adj. wastegate?