who uses a knock detector?

rtviper

Does anyone use a knock detector when racing their stage cars? With a fast system and solid lifters do you just roll the dice and hope you have a good tune. I had my car tuned on a dyno and was told it had a maxium of 18 degrees timing at 19 lbs boost and up. Others have said I am giving lots of power away with that timing and I can safely run up to 24 degrees with c16 fuel. Do you just put in 24 degrees and assume its good to go with the racing fuel and a a/f of 11.0 Do I put in the 24 degrees and richen the motor up more then 11.0? Thanks

rtviper said:
Does anyone use a knock detector when racing their stage cars? With a fast system and solid lifters do you just roll the dice and hope you have a good tune. I had my car tuned on a dyno and was told it had a maxium of 18 degrees timing at 19 lbs boost and up. Others have said I am giving lots of power away with that timing and I can safely run up to 24 degrees with c16 fuel. Do you just put in 24 degrees and assume its good to go with the racing fuel and a a/f of 11.0 Do I put in the 24 degrees and richen the motor up more then 11.0? Thanks

Some run way more than 24 degrees and way leaner than 11.0:1 A/F. It depends on a lot of variables. What is your buildup?

The buildup is:
Stage II off center block
Carillo Rods
Weisco pistons cut for StageII Heads
Block and heads are O-ringed
3.625 Forged Steel Crank
BHJ Balancer
The Wheal Flywheel
Champion Heads
Comp Solid Roller cam
Scorpion Roller rockers
Champion Ported Intake with 83# injectors
76 Q-trim Turbo
Houston Headers and 3 1/2" down pipe and exhaust
U-1 front Mount Intercooler
TH400 w/transbrake & ultrabell
9" ATI convertor 4500 stall

HighPSI said:
I am not sure you can get knock with C-16. I have never seen it.
Cal, I've seen rich knock at 16 psi boost with C16. Motor was puffing black smoke on the shifts, and getting 2-4 deg of retard at the 2-3 shift. The stock O2 sensor said 750 mV so we added more fuel and got 6-8 deg of retard :). That was my last tuning session on that car before I bought my LM1, but I only got one more day to work on it before he went FAST and you got to play with it at the '04 Nats.