who makes a good snow blower?

NICKG

i am need ing a 2 stage snow blower, i am looking at a 5hp to 11 hp. electric start is nice but will i need it? heres what i looked at
mtd
craftsman
arriens
snapper
john deer(expensive)
toro
yardman
honda(very expensive but i think it was best probably)
used(older the bettre?)
what should i get? am i better off with the higher hp models? I live in nj and we got freekin killed last year and i am sick of shoveling! any advice is helpfull

Here is where horsepower mean something!

I have a 5hp toro single stage. It sucks, Partly because my
dad owned it & never took care of it.

I would say the Deere is number #1 but agree $$$$$$$

My neighbor came over to bail me out last year with his WAL-MArt
MTD 11hp large cut 26"? & it went through the snow like butter.
While I stood there with broken toro..

Too early to think about snow but Lowes and Home Depot have had theirs out on display for a few weeks now! :rolleyes: Best thing I bought for the new house last Feb was a Toro Snow Commander. It IS only a single stage 2 stroke but this thing is great. It paid for itself last winter and probably saved me a heart attack if I had tried to shovel all that damn white stuff last year. Sounds like a motocross bike, just start it and it runs at max speed. It has rubber paddles that propel it forward it was throwing snow so far I could cover my neighbor's driveway a good 35 feet away. It's also lightweight, loaded it into my Blazer myself, try doing that with a dual stage.

Couple of drawbacks with this unit. No reverse, which isn't a big deal in my case. (flat double wide driveway about 75 feet long) and you can't really bring it from the backyard to the driveway in the middle of a storm as the paddles are what propels it. I will solve that by moving it to my garage from the shed if snow is forecast.

Hrmmm

A very cold whore? ROFL

Do I win anything?

:D

Bruce
WE4

UGG the thought of SNOW is killing me..

I am putting the GN in OFFSITE Storage, HEATED, alarmed
this year. $100- a month and acessible 9-5 days.

It was way to hard having it in the garage looking at it.
Now my wife can have tha garage for the winter.

single stage won't cut it...i have an old fashioned driveway

my house was built in the later 1880's. i have a carriage type driveway(it had 2 parrallel strips of concrete and dirt/grass in the middle) that has deteriorated badly and has a hill at the street. i am getting estimates to pave it(it is 90 ft long and 10-12 ft wide) but even still i want to buy a snow blower once so i will not buy a 2 stroke(i have plenty of 2 stroke atv and mx bikes ) but i figured the 4 stroke blowers last longer. at one point last year we got over 40" of snow in the big storm last year. I had share of shoveling and my neighbor came over and did my entire drive in 15 min while it took me over 3 hrs to do just the front! that is why i am looking at a 2 stage unit.

Dont be fooled by a single stage ,,,that is the problem ,Buick guys hear 2 stage an they are all over it :) :) I had a LONG driveway at my last house and houses and either side so I have to throw the snow very far since I couldnt throw it to the sides..the guy at the store talked my into a 6.5 Toro GTD(garunteed to start),,man if I could buy that guy a Beer ....:D :D :D A 2 stage has to turn the snow inside of the blower in order to throw it (hard to explain this ) but the single stage is just spinning in the direction that it is throwing it ,,,my neighbor made the 2 stage mistake ,,he has a smaller drive that I do ,,,but I am first to have some beer chillin in my snow pile,;) ;)

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Snowblower? What's that?
It's what you guys call a Waverunner...or would that be a Snowmobile :p

I used my neighbor's Areins for a week once. That thing blew the doors off of my snowblower (MTD, kinda cheep). It was smaller and less HP too.