who is using 86/7 headers w/ 84-85 turbo stock location???

FJM568

Remembered something about someone doing this with a custom uppipe and no a/c, but the alternator still in stock 84/5 location...Anyone got any info on this, or is it just one of those darn ideas that popped in my head that I could have sworn was done before by someone else first!!??!?!? :rolleyes: ;) :D Or is it even possible???

I am going to use Hookers. I really don't see the 87 headers flowing more than the 85's. I think the performance the Hot Airs pick up from headers, that the 87's don't is from lowering the combustion chamber temps from reduced backpressure. Anyone ever test the backpressure on both? I am just guessing.

I wasn't going to use stock 86/7 headers, but the replacement ATR 86/7 headers, IF THEY WILL FIT the way I am thinking of... I thought someone here was using the 86/7 headers but with a custom built uppipe to the 84/5 stock location turbo...My main reason for wanting to go with the 86/7 style headers is that I may decide at some point to just go ahead at some point and convert over to the 86/7 motor config totally and I don't want to have to buy another set of headers...

As for my cracked Poston's headers, the lady on the phone said that they will replace the header or refund my money for them, whichever I choose...Great customer service there...I've never had a problem ordering from them...Not flaming them, just am not happy with the headers cracking after 13k miles... :( I will still buy from them in the future, though...They do still have other products that are good, I just don't want to replace the headers with another set and have to go through all this again IF THEY CRACK AGAIN... Too much work to remove and replace them...I have also noticed what looks like a very small crack on the drivers side, too... <sigh> If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be having any problems at all with my motor...It's running a little rich right now and that darn exh leak tick is driving me nuts!!!

The custom up pipe would have to have a really restrictive bend back to the turbo to work. Either that, or have a really long pipe with a long, sweeping bend in it.

Aren't the driver's side and crossover the same for 83/85 and 86/87? That's what I have always read. If that's the case, then you would only need to change the passenger side if and when you converted to 86/87.

The crossover is slightly different and the driver's side is too...Just looked in the 44w parts book and there are different part #'s between the the 84/5 and 86/7 driver's side manifold's...hmmm...

Besides, the 86/7 stock type ATR headers use a different type of connection between the crossover and the manifolds...They use stainless v-band couplers...

Originally posted by FJM568
Just looked in the 44w parts book and there are different part #'s between the the 84/5 and 86/7 driver's side manifold's...hmmm...

Heat shields....???

Thanks for the reply!!! I'm still undecided on if I want to attempt this...I am curious as to whether my DP will clear with the ATR 3-bolt headers for the 86/7s...I know that I will have to do something with the up-pipe and delete the a/c, but the a/c don't work anyway...

Oh well, I'll put some more thought into this and maybe attempt it in the future...

Thanks for the info!!! :D

No probelm Jim - and I am still trying to remember who ran the stock 86-87 headers. It was on the old board before the crash. The guy claimed it ran high 12's.

Anyone else remember this?

Not that it matters pertaining to the original question and its been a long time since I sat the parts down and compared them side to side but if I remember correctly the LH side header was the same shape between the 83-87's. The only difference I could see was that the 86-87 had a heat shield and somewere in the 86 model year the bolt size where the crossover bolted on to the header changed from a 8mm to a 10mm(stud size). Same goes for the RH side on the 86. I have interchanged the crossovers between the years. There again I think the only reason the parts book shows different part numbers is the 83-85 used 8mm compared to the 86-87 10mm on the mounting flanges.

new to this

so i am new to this. i have an 85 gn motor, and the headers (exhaust manifolds) are junk....will i have to do anything special if i were to put on 86-87's on that motor? any help is greatly appreciated...if you want you can e-mail me at andrewrock5@hotmail.com

Duttweiler used some Hooker 86/87 headers on Marka Gallina's Hot Air. The car did run well into the 11's. If I can dig up the old TURBO Magizine, I will scan. It can be done. You will have to remove the air compressor. The uppipe will be at a diffferent angle. The Downpipe will probably have to be modded.

Chuck