Who insures your car for a 'stated value'?

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
I tried to go with Grundy but they said NO.

I drive my car to work once a month or so on a nice day and they said....

"Unfortunately, we are unable to insure vehicles that are driven to and from work."

So....who else out there will insure my GN for more than AAA will (13k). I would like an agreed value policy

It is mostly for show and cruising around. I don't take it to the track.

Winter = 6 months with GRUNDY (never driven 4 of the 6 months)

Summer - 6 months with Progressive (stated value 15k) Can go anywhere I like :)

Iv'e got my 644 mi 87 GN insured for $25,000 through State Farm as an antique. I cant drive the car more than a 1,000 mi per year. I pay $50 per month.;)

I also have State Farm. Value $19,500 @ $214.00 per year.
They only did it since I have 3 other cars listed and my Homeowners policy with them.

State Farm has my 15k mile TTA for a stated value of $25k...they needed an appraisal and pics, that's it! It's also classified as a "classic car" which is good for ~ 1000 miles/year I think. I pay $19/month with 2 other cars and a home owners policy to boot.

I have Parrish-Heacock for $10k (after seeing the other posts, me thinks I should bump it up). They very clearly state that you cannot use the car as a "replacement" vehicle - and specifically say you can't drive it to work.

Jim

I'm by no means an insurance expert,but I seem to remember that stated value was still debatable with your ins. company in the event of a loss.What you need is AGREED VALUE which is not suseptable to argument with your insurance carrier.I did this research a few years back,but I'm pretty sure there was a clear difference in the two. Hope this helps.:)

Originally posted by Sagecoach
I'm by no means an insurance expert,but I seem to remember that stated value was still debatable with your ins. company in the event of a loss.What you need is AGREED VALUE which is not suseptable to argument with your insurance carrier.I did this research a few years back,but I'm pretty sure there was a clear difference in the two. Hope this helps.:)

Yeah, that's a good point. My policy is an AGREED value policy.

Jim

Yup....I mean 'agreed'.

I have written Grundy back and explained:

"I understand your not wanting to insure a daily driver. When I stated I drive the car to work I was being honest. Most people answer "no" to that question and drive to work anyway.

My GN is not a daily driver. Last year I took it to the office twice in the calendar year. It was for special occasions. While returning from a car show one weekend I also stopped by the office to pick up some paperwork so again, I drove the car to work -- for 15 minutes.

So I guess the answer to that question should have been "NO" I do not drive the car to work.

Does this change your decision to not cover my car?"

I wonder what they will say?

Renthorin if you insist on using Grundy or collector insurance.

If something happens on the way to work just tell them you were heading to MIDAS or someplace that has a chain in the area of your work.

Same for the ride home. Make sure a cruise night or ice cream joint is in the area in case something happens.

Otherwise Just buy the Normal Insurance at AGREED or STATED value.

State Farm...policy has a $25K appraisal included with it as well as pics of the car and a complete list of modifications with prices. It's also listed as a collectible/show car, so I have a little more leniency as far as mileage goes. As it is, I only occasionally drive the car on trips of more than 100 miles. Usually, it's just the 60 miles or so round trip to a cruise-in. Anything further than that, the car rides in the trailer to where-ever I'm going. In the 14 mos I've had it, only put about 2800 miles on her...:D Gotta love being able to drive year round...LOL.

It only gets better...

so I explained that I don't 'reaaalllyyyy' drive the car to work....more like short trips here and there.

This is their most recent response:

Dear Sir ,

Thank You for contacting GRUNDY WORLDWIDE's web site. Unfortunately, we are
unable to insure vehicles that are used for errands. Best of luck in your
search for proper coverage on your vehicle.

Respectfully,

GRUNDY WORLDWIDE

Errands????

So now I am going to submit a completely new request for insurance and see what happens.

I will tell them NO to everything that says the GN goes anywhere besides car shows.

Stay tuned............

i'm having trouble getting ins. from Grundy also for the GN and GTO. the first time i submitted my application, i forgot to send the pictures of the cars,and i stated the annual mileage for the GN would be 5000, and i was under the assuption that they had no limits on mileage. they refused me, saying the mileage was "unrealistic". i called them back, saying why is that,they asked me why the high mileage and i told them i would want to drive the car far distances for "exhibitions". they then replied, "but you have no club affiliation", then i explained to them that i have an application pending with GSCA. so they said they'll talk to the underwriter about the mileage. so i re-submitted the application and pics, and they refused me again! no explanation this time. :mad:
Ed, i also have State Farm for my regular car, but when i first got that policy, i asked the broker if State Farm had classic car policies, and they told me no. so i called up State Farm themselves, and they told me they do have it, and i have to go through the broker to apply for it:confused: where is your broker? i use the one in Bay Ridge.

MAN ,I HAVE 6 CARS WITH STATE FARM AND I NEED TO DO SOMETHING .I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THEY OFFERED STATED VALUE INSURANCE.I CANT DRIVE ALL THOSE CARS TOO MUCH.ID SAY 1000MI ON THE GN .THANKS FOR THE INFO IM GOIN TO CHECK IT OUT