Who Here is Self Employed?

I was a ford tech from the time I was 19 to 31. I had a kid at 19 sometimes I think that kept me from going out on my own when I was younger. ( because of the insurance and steady employment ) in 2007 I started driving truck part time for a farmer. Things became slow when the economy took a crap in 08 and soon I was earning more part time driving then full time working on cars. The farmer offered me a full time job driving so I took it. Ended up running my butt into t ground and went back to the same car dealer. After a couple years things went to crap. I never had any interest In owning a truck. I called a bunch of trucking companies nobody wanted me because I had been off the road to long. Basically the only way they would hire me is if I drove with a trainer for crap pay! Well I could stay at the dealer and get crap pay! So I said well what's to keep me from owning my own.

So I bought my first truck almost went broke in my first year I also got my own operating authority right from the beginning. I didn't not have enough working capital is what it boiled down too.

i worked real hard to turn things around and after about 6 months I turned things around then half way into my 2nd I bought a second truck and trailer hired a driver.
And honestly I never wanted more then one truck but potential shippers don't want to deal with single truck operations. I don't like dealing with freight brokers for the most part. I hate giving them 10-25% of my earnings and I have to put up all the expense so that's the reason for buying multiple trucks.

Then half way threw my 3rd year I bought a 3rd truck and trailer yet to hire a second driver. Not a big deal so far we are still profitable!

Things I've learned
Now for the bad trucks are exspenive
workmans comp, health insurance and truck insurance cost me about $40,000 a year,
This a 24hr a day 7 day a week job!
It's hard to make plans I feel like we do everything spur of the moment.
I'm away from home 5 nights a week. My wife has to deal with a lot of things on her own. she's a single mom in a lot of ways.
And I'm not there for my oldest child as much I should be!

For the good my wife works partime she gets to be home with my son. She works from home.

When my wife went into labor I was able to make it home in time be there for my sons birth and then I was able to take time off to be with them.

The following Year I was able to take the month of April off when my wife had surgery on her arm to take care of her and my son.

I also feel like I have been a little more successful then other truck O/O.
We always have money bills are always paid on time we have a nice acreage are cars are paid for. I can't say that I could ask for much more! ( other then to put a driver in that dam 3rd truck)! Lol!

I can say this to anybody wanting to be self employed. I don't think I could punch a clock for anybody else. And you will never work harder for anybody else other then yourself.
sorry for rambling so long I feel like I wrote a biography!